Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Living in the City (REAPER DAW)
So I'm trying to move from logic to reaper since reaper looks like a solid daw.. less complicated than some out there anyways.. and well... I have a lot of issues on my end. First I probably spent the whole thing discovering what everything does and what not. I don't have any vsts .. and since it's windows I'm familiarizing my self with the instalations of some things.

I used mostly stock plugins from the daw.. and maybe 2 free vst's I found online.. but the major issue I have is that my Codecs or Drivers if you would.. are not good. The sound that comes out of my pc headphone jack is not the same quality as the mac. I can tell the difference.. also the drivers sort of SQUASH everything if it's supper loud.. so now the challenge here is good because it's forcing me to master without squashing the mix too much. If I do then it sounds like they busted a limiter on the mix.. I listen to other youtube music videos and the sound is loud as hell and just fine.. but as soon as I switch to reaper the sound sounds squashed (when limiter is too much) ... so I can definitely tell that if it's mastered right I can achieve those volumes... in the mean time here is a basic mix.

I didn't do much with it since those vocals have a ton of bleed and it's hard to balance things.. at leas for me in this new Daw which by the way is actually pretty cool. Perhaps I need an Interface to use with.. If i get the audio out of those DA converters I can probably have a more faithful sound from the daw.

oh well.. that's why windows sucks when you don't know about what components are best for audio mixing. Sad

Feedback is super welcomed.. like I said sound in windows sounds funny.. I wonder how things sound on your end of your rig.

.mp3    LivingInThecity.mp3 --  (Download: 8.11 MB)

hi! snare may sound a bit too snappy on choruses? but i think in general the mix sounds pretty good. if you migrated to windows, you should go with asio drivers. if you dont have a separate asio capable audio interface with its own asio drivers installed, you could try using asio4all drivers with the integrated soundcard. ^_^
It's quite nice and well represented Shul. Cymbals may be a bit washy, but I haven't worked with this so I don't know what you have to play with as far as the raw tracks go. I would like to hear the guitar and vocal stay up a bit more through that quiet section, but other than that it, I really like it. Well Done.
(18-12-2018, 09:28 PM)kapu Wrote: hi! snare may sound a bit too snappy on choruses? but i think in general the mix sounds pretty good. if you migrated to windows, you should go with asio drivers. if you dont have a separate asio capable audio interface with its own asio drivers installed, you could try using asio4all drivers with the integrated soundcard. ^_^

I'll do my research on those drivers.. I hope they work on my pc.
Yea not the best mix man I'm getting to know the reaper plugins so my mind wasn't at all focused the way it usually is. I was discovering and learning to use reaper so I probably over did the compression on that snare lol.

thanks for feedback.
As far as I know, drivers dont really influence sound quality, thou I might be wrong. I guess it all comes down to the DAs and headphone output of your laptop being worse than your Mac. ASIO4all will help you to get lower latency, thou.

I think this is a good and nicely balanced mix, no apparent shortcomings of importance. I liked the snare as it is, my main relative objections being the reverb on the vocal, which feels a little unrelated to the other parts. And main guitar might use some more bite and presence, but for a first try on a new DAW I think it sounds very nice!
(20-12-2018, 12:19 AM)Deliza Wrote: As far as I know, drivers dont really influence sound quality, thou I might be wrong. I guess it all comes down to the DAs and headphone output of your laptop being worse than your Mac. ASIO4all will help you to get lower latency, thou.

I think this is a good and nicely balanced mix, no apparent shortcomings of importance. I liked the snare as it is, my main relative objections being the reverb on the vocal, which feels a little unrelated to the other parts. And main guitar might use some more bite and presence, but for a first try on a new DAW I think it sounds very nice!

Thanks for the feedback. Listening to it again the back vox here are very inconcistent and uneven on their dynamics.. I didn't really do anything with automation but like I said I'll work on this a lil more after when I get a cance.
I suppose I can boost a lil 3k on those guitars to get a lil more bite on them?

Thanks for feedback Smile
Nice for stock plugins.Maybe wrong reverb on vocals(some delay to push it upfront)There is a lot free vst
http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=2507
(28-12-2018, 07:30 PM)5ras Wrote: Nice for stock plugins.Maybe wrong reverb on vocals(some delay to push it upfront)There is a lot free vst
http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=2507

Thanks man i will check that link when I get a chance!
Hi Shul you definately need to have more control of the main vocals.
Reaper user
(30-12-2018, 02:10 PM)Cudjoe Wrote: Hi Shul you definately need to have more control of the main vocals.

I agree I didn't really worked on vocals and I have not opened the project since this mix but will get to it when I get a chance. Thanks for the feedback Smile