Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Hannes Keseberg - You Know Better - DanishMix
Hi everyone

Pretty new here and I've only just started trying to actually practice mixing. I've tried to stay minimal with this; Pretty much just trying to balance levels, use compression and a tiny bit of delay. I've found I can't handle reverb that well just yet, so I use one-sixteenth note delay times instead.

Would love to know what you guys think of it. Some pointers on how to improve this would be cool too.

Thanks!

.mp3    YouKnowBetterMix.mp3 --  (Download: 8.35 MB)

Welcome! Allow me to help a bit on mixing since you say you are new to it.

Balancing is the first step to a good mix. If your balances are very off no matter how much you do with eq, compression, fx, etc. Its not gonna sound good. Sometimes it gets destroyed.

Let me use an example in your mix.

Introduction is pretty solid. well balanced but by the end of the song you have the whistles very loud in comparison with the rest of the song. Also that solo guitar gets loud by the end of the track and is in conflict with the voice. That's an example there that would be destructive if you had several instruments with very off balances.

Balancing is always based on the type of song, the genre, and what instruments help to bring excitement to the mix.
After a solid balance it comes down to 2 questions.

1.Is it necessary? (to use compression, eq, reverb)
2.Why? (there should always be a reason to every decision)

You got a good balance going on apart from what I pointed out at the end so let me make my observations now.

*Voice needs to be high passed on the eq. I hear a very deep low end coming from it. Unless my ears are so tired of listening to mixes Lol
*There is a FRET NOISE in the back of the mix and it's constant throughout the whole mix I believe. Not sure why this is but perhaps you have a delay there somewhere that you forgot to turn off or something.
*Chorus could benefit from that Hammond and piano. Don't be afraid to turn something up a lil over your main track (which would be the voice in this case since it's supposed to be a pop song)
*Lead guitar has a very nasty 2k-5k freq. poking out when playing. You could throw heavy compression on it or you can notch that freq. out in the eq.
*Snare could use more TOP mic.. the BOTTOM mic is very loud in comparison with the top mic. You can notice this more when it changes from snare hit to that rim hit on the verse.
*Bass sound weird for the kind of song. There is like a distortion fx on it. That's something I would use for like a metal song or a rock song. Usually bass is very smooth sounding and mellow. There are some instances where the bass peaks loud and you can hear the distortion fx more.
*At the end of the song there are some tracks that shut off very agressively. You should do a fadeout on them to have a smoother ending.

Hope this helps and again.. WELCOME Smile
(14-12-2018, 09:39 AM)Shul Wrote: Welcome! Allow me to help a bit on mixing since you say you are new to it.

Balancing is the first step to a good mix. If your balances are very off no matter how much you do with eq, compression, fx, etc. Its not gonna sound good. Sometimes it gets destroyed.

Let me use an example in your mix.

Introduction is pretty solid. well balanced but by the end of the song you have the whistles very loud in comparison with the rest of the song. Also that solo guitar gets loud by the end of the track and is in conflict with the voice. That's an example there that would be destructive if you had several instruments with very off balances.

Balancing is always based on the type of song, the genre, and what instruments help to bring excitement to the mix.
After a solid balance it comes down to 2 questions.

1.Is it necessary? (to use compression, eq, reverb)
2.Why? (there should always be a reason to every decision)

You got a good balance going on apart from what I pointed out at the end so let me make my observations now.

*Voice needs to be high passed on the eq. I hear a very deep low end coming from it. Unless my ears are so tired of listening to mixes Lol
*There is a FRET NOISE in the back of the mix and it's constant throughout the whole mix I believe. Not sure why this is but perhaps you have a delay there somewhere that you forgot to turn off or something.
*Chorus could benefit from that Hammond and piano. Don't be afraid to turn something up a lil over your main track (which would be the voice in this case since it's supposed to be a pop song)
*Lead guitar has a very nasty 2k-5k freq. poking out when playing. You could throw heavy compression on it or you can notch that freq. out in the eq.
*Snare could use more TOP mic.. the BOTTOM mic is very loud in comparison with the top mic. You can notice this more when it changes from snare hit to that rim hit on the verse.
*Bass sound weird for the kind of song. There is like a distortion fx on it. That's something I would use for like a metal song or a rock song. Usually bass is very smooth sounding and mellow. There are some instances where the bass peaks loud and you can hear the distortion fx more.
*At the end of the song there are some tracks that shut off very agressively. You should do a fadeout on them to have a smoother ending.

Hope this helps and again.. WELCOME Smile

Wow, that's a lot of help! Thanks for taking the time to give me advice on this!

I did high pass the vocals, but only from 90Hz; I got a little nervous about high passing even more than that. Is it generally safe to get that drastic with the eq? Reason being something about it sitting better in the mix while not necessarily sounding great on it's own? Perhaps I made the mistake of looking at the number instead of following my ears.

The fret noise is mostly from the bass. The overdrive probably made the noise a lot more significant. I guess I should remove the drive.

I'll work on the track keeping the things you've said in mind and upload a new mix soon! Smile
Yes sometimes a track will sound ugly when in SOLO but with the rest of the mix is gonna sound RIGHT.
You just gotta experiment with tracks but at the end of the day you always have to hear how it sounds with everything else playing.