Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Hurray For The Riff Raff: 'Living In The City' kapu mix
hmm... where was explicit lyrics?

.mp3    hurray_for_the_riff_raff___living_in_the_city__kapu_mix3.mp3 --  (Download: 7.98 MB)

added second version. ^_^
Sounding great, kapu Smile
Niko
----------------------------
Latest project : Noise Implant
(03-12-2018, 09:22 PM)axxessdenied Wrote: Sounding great, kapu Smile

thanks! tried to go for a bit more muffled sound. seems to work nicely with the track. ^_^
Hey Kapu

Sounds good!! version 2 has that smooth top end, very analog sounding.
Great Job!!
Cheers
KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
V2 is clearly better, Kapu! More focused and with more energy. There was a weird resonance coming from the kickdrum in v1, corrected in v2 so low end is fat but not dragging the tune. It sounds specially good after the solo, when it almost reminds a heart beating, is that the same kick? All that crescendo part sounds terrific.

The solo part could use some rebalancing of the guitars and maybe rolling some highs from the right guitar, but that's just me.

Biggest issue I have is, during the choruses, the mix feels weaker compared to the verses, probably because of the drummer changing the hat for the ride. The snare loses presence and feels disconnected from the drumkit. There's less hi-end energy and the mid side gets a little karaoke to me, as if the voice doesn't belong anymore. That doesn't happen in the verse before the last chorus though it is ride driven too, but I guess it's the busiest singing that compensates. Monoing the backing vocals in the center could help (mono and brighter so they can shine, though they had so much bleed it could compromise the drums), maybe the hi-tom too, boosting up the OH's somehow (or compressing hard and boosting up the hat track so the bleed does the job, I mean only for the choruses) and the craziest thing I can think of is compressing and gritting up the mid side, again only for the choruses.

Lovely mix!

(04-12-2018, 03:50 AM)KMuzic Wrote: Hey Kapu [...]

thanks! its an itb mix, but used mostly uad analog modelling plugins, so it has some analog character. ^_^
(04-12-2018, 05:36 AM)Oriana Wrote: So many funny [...]

yes, lets! that sounds so much fun! no, wait, now my antivirus has gone mad as blocking and denying everything. such a shame. ^_^
(04-12-2018, 11:10 AM)Deliza Wrote: V2 is clearly better, Kapu! [...]

thanks for extensive feedback and ideas!

in the first version i played around adding low end to kick with resonating filter, too much. rolled it back for second version.

the mix is static, so there is no differences or automation changes between parts in the mix. took the live venue v-soundcheck style approach. but i recognize the issue with chorus not sounding bigger enough. i was thinking about automating the keyboards to make chorus bigger and vice versa, but its probably the hihats highs thats missing from chorus.

im not sure i understand the mid side karaoke statement. if you mean the backing vocals being panned and lead being center, that was just a 'reflex' to what should i do with these. i didnt feel comfortable with the performance on backing vocals, so i just kinda opened them as little as possible. i was thinking about monoing them and driving them through a doubler chorus type of effect, which worked nicely with the reggae song added for this month.

but it has probably already taken more time for me to write this response than mixing the song, so if i do new version i try to do better job. again, thanks for your time and feedback. ^_^
Somehow, when the hat stops you lose some glue between the voice and the rest of whats going thru the mid side. So yeah, monoing BGVs could help. It might also have something to do with the organ playing a little softer in the choruses.