Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.83 Average
Kangoro: 'King Rascal' kapu mix
I liked the amount of madness put into the song. ^_^

.m4a    kangoro-__king_rascal__kapu_mix.m4a --  (Download: 8.53 MB)

.m4a    kangoro-__king_rascal__kapu_mix2.m4a --  (Download: 8.4 MB)

(03-05-2018, 03:55 AM)kapu Wrote: I liked the amount of madness put into the song. ^_^

Wait till you see the other two Kangoro projects I've still got up my sleeve for the coming months... Smile
(03-05-2018, 03:55 AM)kapu Wrote: I liked the amount of madness put into the song. ^_^

Hi kapu, I agree with you, this track is awesome and super well produced. it was a pleasure to mix it and it was difficult too, specially figuring out what to bring to attention. I went the safe way, vocals, drum and bass. What were your thoughts when mixing your version?
(03-05-2018, 10:25 PM)Mike Senior Wrote: Wait till you [...]

In this I find solace. ^_^
(30-05-2018, 03:39 PM)javierpg84 Wrote: Hi kapu, [...]

if i remember correct, i went the same way you did: drums, bass and vocals. then fit the rest. but once basic elements were in order, i dont recall having too much difficulty fitting in rest of stuff. the 'sound' was already pretty much present in original tracks, so i mostly just reassembled it. remember using kick/snare side chaining on some of the bassier tracks. ^_^
(30-05-2018, 05:10 PM)kapu Wrote:
(30-05-2018, 03:39 PM)javierpg84 Wrote: Hi kapu, [...]

if i remember correct, i went the same way you did: drums, bass and vocals. then fit the rest. but once basic elements were in order, i dont recall having too much difficulty fitting in rest of stuff. the 'sound' was already pretty much present in original tracks, so i mostly just reassembled it. remember using kick/snare side chaining on some of the bassier tracks. ^_^

That trick works wonders!!! I did it too in mine. I look for 1 to 3 db of GR. I use a VCA type of compressor to react and release quick so it doesn't choke the bass. Cool to know you do the same! The effect on God bless Hookie street part was a 1/4 delay with a low pass at 6.6Khz and not too much feedback, I will say a 20 % of feedback (Waves H Delay in a send to be more specific.) Take care
(31-05-2018, 02:38 AM)javierpg84 Wrote: That trick works wonders!!! [...]

indeed sidechain compressing can be a lot more effective than endless eq. i use fabfilter c2 for side compressing, as in addition to standard controls it has lookahead, hold, separate ratio and range, and sidechain filtering in the same interface. this helps getting very constant ducking effect even if the sidechain input source has more dynamics. this is very useful when sidechaining room for vocals. eg when vocals kick in, rhythm guitars reliably duck a solid 1 db when vocalist is vocalizing etc.
(31-05-2018, 03:25 AM)kapu Wrote:
(31-05-2018, 02:38 AM)javierpg84 Wrote: That trick works wonders!!! [...]

indeed sidechain compressing can be a lot more effective than endless eq. i use fabfilter c2 for side compressing, as in addition to standard controls it has lookahead, hold, separate ratio and range, and sidechain filtering in the same interface. this helps getting very constant ducking effect even if the sidechain input source has more dynamics. this is very useful when sidechaining room for vocals. eg when vocals kick in, rhythm guitars reliably duck a solid 1 db when vocalist is vocalizing etc.

Try this trick I learned from Tchad Blake. Side chain a gate to Kick and Snare. The kick and snare will open the gate, that its going to be applied as an insert to an ambien track like market or street noises or a source with different sounds, maybe a sample. Every time there is a hit, the ambient track opens up and closes fast, creating like a random noises which can be cool for experimental or unconventional tracks.
(31-05-2018, 01:16 PM)javierpg84 Wrote: Try this trick [...]

ha! already tried that in:

http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...8#pid64518

sidechaining acoustic guitar to hihat trying to replicate prince - kiss sound. ^_^
(03-05-2018, 10:25 PM)Mike Senior Wrote:

Wait till you see the other two Kangoro projects I've still got up my sleeve for the coming months... Smile

Can't Wait! Smile