Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Perpetual Escape: 'Sin Six'
Here are two versions I have done and one has a vocal difference. I used a plugin that was recommended by a fellow engineer. Thanks again for the recommendation and let me know why one you like best.

Regards,
Frank

.mp3    Sin Six V1.mp3 --  (Download: 4.98 MB)

.mp3    Sin Six V2.mp3 --  (Download: 4.98 MB)

Hi there ! I'm PE's drummer and original mix engineer.

Version 1 is very aggressive ! There are a lot of high ends everywhere, especially on the overheads which are pumping.
I can hear some balance issues in volume 3D placement. The vocals sound a lot in the back compared to the instruments.

Version two sound more balanced, but this time with uncontrolled low end. The kick is drowned behind the bass. Vocals sound more in front, but the panning sound strange. I think you should keep the main vocals in the center, and play with automation to move backing vocals from center to side.

Keep it up !
(21-03-2017, 08:02 AM)Mandubien Wrote: Hi there ! I'm PE's drummer and original mix engineer.

Version 1 is very aggressive ! There are a lot of high ends everywhere, especially on the overheads which are pumping.
I can hear some balance issues in volume 3D placement. The vocals sound a lot in the back compared to the instruments.

Version two sound more balanced, but this time with uncontrolled low end. The kick is drowned behind the bass. Vocals sound more in front, but the panning sound strange. I think you should keep the main vocals in the center, and play with automation to move backing vocals from center to side.

Keep it up !
I tried addressing some of the issues that you talked about. Not sure if I got them or just created different issues. Here is the new attempt.

Cheers
Frank

.mp3    Sin Six master 3.mp3 --  (Download: 4.98 MB)

It has been a while since I did these mixes but I did grab some new headphones. I got some DT770 Studios 80 OHM and I am making my adjustments to these new beast. Here is my attempt at this song.

Frank

(24-03-2017, 05:36 AM)fjuarez3 Wrote:
(21-03-2017, 08:02 AM)Mandubien Wrote: Hi there ! I'm PE's drummer and original mix engineer.

Keep it up !
I tried addressing some of the issues that you talked about. Not sure if I got them or just created different issues. Here is the new attempt.

Cheers
Frank

.mp3    Sin Six111.mp3 --  (Download: 6.61 MB)

Hey !

Your mix is more EQ balanced, so you're on the good way Smile
Now you need to focus on the volume balance. Sometimes the vocals jump out, sometimes it comes from the toms...
Did you use any automation ? It's a very powerful tool to make sure you have a constant balance in everything.
I did not use automation because I was too excited at how much better my mix came out. I hope this one is better and I did use automation on this one. Cheers and thanks for your critiques. I know you are a member of the band and it makes me happy your are liking the mix more.

Frank

(17-07-2017, 11:28 AM)Mandubien Wrote: Hey !

Your mix is more EQ balanced, so you're on the good way Smile
Now you need to focus on the volume balance. Sometimes the vocals jump out, sometimes it comes from the toms...
Did you use any automation ? It's a very powerful tool to make sure you have a constant balance in everything.

.mp3    Sin Six55.mp3 --  (Download: 6.49 MB)

The volume balance is better now, although not perfect.

I would suggest you to loop the last chorus, and spend time adjusting the balance. Once it's perfect for you, move the the next or previous part and adjust using automation. Then listen to this last part and the final chorus: are both sounding balanced ? If yes keep doing the automation on the previous/next section. At the end you should get a well balanced song Smile