Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Directions Mix: Studio One & ToneBooster Plugs
Here is a mix using Studio One. Wanted to keep it simple, so I made extensive use of ToneBooster Track Essential Plug-Ins. Used a few native Presonus plugs on the kick (a KD preset, but could have used TB) and electric guitars (Ampire), but for the rest use TB de-esser, compression, EQ and reverb.

Did a little kick quantizing to the bass (used finger bass only). Used the high vocal backups only.

Master track has a little TB Ferox (clean) and Ozone 4 processing (mild low EQ, exciter, multiband compression and limiting).

Mixed this in mono first, getting everything to play. A lot of simple HPF to separate stuff out from the bass / kick. Did apply some of the EQ notes from Mike S mix rescue article on song to the Acoustic Guitar.

Regards,
Bill

Update for VERSION 2: All track and master effects are ToneBooster TrackEssentials or Free Plug-Ins (except Ampire on Guitar and Ozone 4 for limiting on master bus). Unlocked kick (raw timing).
Added parallel drum bus with compression and EQ to fatten kick. Dropped level of harmony acoustic guitar.

.mp3    Directions.mp3 --  (Download: 6.45 MB)

.mp3    DirectionsV2.mp3 --  (Download: 6.45 MB)

Nice clean sounding mix. A couple of things I noticed, the bass drum is very quiet and isn't cutting through clearly and the guitar coming in at 0.50 mark seems too loud to me. It seems to sit far above the rest of the mix.
(16-06-2013, 05:57 PM)sano Wrote: Nice clean sounding mix. A couple of things I noticed, the bass drum is very quiet and isn't cutting through clearly and the guitar coming in at 0.50 mark seems too loud to me. It seems to sit far above the rest of the mix.

Thanks. I will revisit the kick an the guitar bit. My initial goal was to make a mix using just the ToneBooster Trackessential plugs to make it challenging. I will do that and repost an updated mix. Again, thank you for the feedback.
Everything is clean and clear. I like it. It sounds good from mids to highs, and weak on the low end. I'm listening through simple desktop speakers, Altec Lansing VS2421 (stereo with subwoofer).

Very nice Smile
To mix or not to mix ... mix!
Very nice mix bgoyette.I like the vocal reverb you end up with!I would give some space on that stick.