Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Zeno - "Signs" - DWM Mix&Master
Hello,

This was a fun song. I chose to go a more natural route. Didn't use the kick or snare samples, but did end up using the DI of Gtr 3 and 4 (Just too dark). I wanted the verses to have punchy drums, and the choruses to be big "wall of sound" type, which is why the vocal is tucked back a bit on the choruses. Overall, fun little song. And as always, I'd love to hear your feedback!

.mp3    001_Signs.mp3 --  (Download: 7.2 MB)

It's not bad. I know you went for a more natural sound but I think the samples would have helped. It's not a natural song. Relying on the claps for the backbeat feels a little weak. The snare sample may have reinforced the center of the stereo image a bit more.

Overall the vocals feel a little low. I know that was you intention in the chorus and it makes sense but they do get a little lost. Maybe filtering them in a way so they stand out more but still sound overwhelmed by the chorus. A low mid cut might help.

The kick feels good. The guitars seem ok. No issues there. The guitar on the right in the verse may be a little heavy.

The bridge is cool. I like the vocal delay.

Overall its a good mix. There are minor issues here and there but as a song it works. I think there could be more focus on the vocals which would appeal to the casual listener.
It doesn't have to sound good. People just need to think it sounds good.