Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colour Me Red - Olli H
(18-11-2016, 06:42 PM)Olli H Wrote: I tried first to make bigger changes with rougher sound, but everthing broke apart, so I decided to stick to my orginal acoustic idea, which suits my ears better.
Small tiny minimal changes here and there to make the overall sound a bit smoother and acoustical than before. Biggest changes are in vox. I changed everything.

I think you already had it at #15.. #15 could be delivered to the client for mastering IMO.
M1 Pro MBP: is my Hattori Hanzo.
Thanks, I was very happy with my previous version, but Mike had some good points that I wanted to address somehow. No matter what, in the end one must take a notice of clients demands.
Wait is this your 21 revision? Quite a handful of fixes.

I like it. I just miss the electric distortion guitars in the chorus.. I think they are very important and it's what makes this song really good.
Good job keep it up.
(19-11-2016, 07:43 AM)Shul Wrote: Wait is this your 21 revision? Quite a handful of fixes.

I like it. I just miss the electric distortion guitars in the chorus.. I think they are very important and it's what makes this song really good.
Good job keep it up.

Thanks, only couple of revisions, but the latest one happens to be in post #21.

I do understand that you miss the distortion guitar. But I thought it was too distorted to my taste and I took the polite - as Mike put it - path and it lead me to decision to give room for the side guitars and organ. They are the new instruments that chorus introduces.

Actually I didn't use that distortion track at all. I took the DI and run it through an amp with less distortion. I tried to make those panned boogie guitars (electric on the left and acoustic on the right) a balanced pair. So that was the first big decisions that influenced all the other things in my mix. In that panning it wouldn't have worked if there had been heavy distortion only on the left channel.

One of my references was Bob Dylan playing weird crime-death-songs with muddy-waters-feeling and rockabilly touch. (album Love and Theft, 2001). His band was very acoustic. But I had to admit that I never reached that mood that he has created.
Thanks for clarifying the 21.

I see why you did that and it was a good decision.
Still is a good mix Smile
Sounds Great Olli.
Congratulations Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Olli great work, congrats!
M1 Pro MBP: is my Hattori Hanzo.
(18-11-2016, 06:42 PM)Olli H Wrote: I tried first to make bigger changes with rougher sound, but everthing broke apart, so I decided to stick to my orginal acoustic idea, which suits my ears better.
Small tiny minimal changes here and there to make the overall sound a bit smoother and acoustical than before. Biggest changes are in vox. I changed everything.

This one is the competition version.

Well Done Olli,

I think it's always best to run with your own natural ideas, after all this is based on styles that have influenced you and sounds you like to hear. It doesn't hurt to push some of these ideas, but you can lose perspective if you start to fight them.

At the end of the day, you have created a mix that you like and a mix that sounds great with a unique flavor to everyone else. This is your signature.Big Grin

Congratulations.