Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Lead Inc: 'The Dice'
(11-04-2016, 03:05 AM)dcp10200 Wrote: Dave, your mix is really quite solid and punchy especially the drums. The kick is really fat and just hits nice and hard, the snare sounds like it has a touch too much bottom mic but it's nothing major (mostly a taste thing). The Guitars are also pretty great sounding, the arpeggiated guitar in the bridge is loud and has a tendency to draw some focus away from the lead vocals but overall the guitars are beefy without really causing any big problems in the mix. The bass in our mixes are actually pretty similar, I think mine is abit lower but tonally they have a similar signature. I noticed the reverb at 1:26 on the toms and snare sound a little artificial, try using a small plate or room reverb with slightly more early reflections than reverb tail so that the reverb basically adds weight and some width to the snare and toms. The vocal balance is also quite good, maybe a touch less backing vocal in the choruses but otherwise they sound good.

Keep it up,
Dcp

Thanks Dcp for the in depth analysts. I know this mix needs more but wasn't sure on where to take it from here without it being a backwards move. I know I struggled with reverb with this one especially with the drums and the snare, so I will explore your suggestions in this area. Thanks again for your time. You have given me some direction to continue with.

Dave.
(11-04-2016, 04:33 AM)Shul Wrote: Hey Dangerous

Here are my observations

*Solid Balance
*Solid stereo separation
*for my taste the guitars are missing a bit of the punch. I'd love it if they were a bit fatter.
*I would love a bit more fullness on the snare. But it seats nice in the mix.
*The bass is missing for me in some of the parts. I'm really missing the low end of it.
*Drums are poking out a bit too much for me. Could be the eq you used. Or it could be the lack of bass and the somewhat thin feel of the guitars or both things that Is making me feel like they poke out a bit.

Feel free to ignore some of my points as they are based more on taste.
All in all it's good. Keep it up.

Thanks for the comments Shul, It's nice to hear how one's mix translates in other environments. I can agree with most of your comments. As for the fullness of the snare, I would like to fill it out also, just haven't found an approach that I'm happy with. I'll have to keep working at it. The fact that it changes timbre throughout the song makes this more challenging also. I have high passed the bass in the stereo difference on the master fairly high with this track which has robbed some of the bottom end of the panned guitars, which is what I reckon you're hearing. This is something that I probably need to check over. With my panned guitars, although I'm pretty happy with their stereo sound, they are loosing a lot of their impact in mono which I'm not overly happy with. This could be altering the guitar/drum balance in different listening environments. Another issue I need to work at.
Thanks for your observations.

Dave.

Hi Dangerous Dave,

like your mix a lot, very balanced and musical, best version so far in my opinion.
Keep it up!
Nice mix Dave! Pleasant to the ears. I really enjoyed the bridge and how clear the guitar was. Thanks for listening and sorry i didn't mean to cause any harm...lol. I get carried away. When i tried to mix it without the reverb i just wasn't enjoying the mix anymore.
(17-04-2016, 06:40 PM)DFH Wrote: Hi Dangerous Dave,

like your mix a lot, very balanced and musical, best version so far in my opinion.
Keep it up!

Thanks for the kind words. There's still a few little things I want to refine when time permits. Hopefully I can get to it sooner rather than later. Smile

Dave.

(18-04-2016, 10:58 PM)LupoPazzo Wrote: Nice mix Dave! Pleasant to the ears. I really enjoyed the bridge and how clear the guitar was. Thanks for listening and sorry i didn't mean to cause any harm...lol. I get carried away. When i tried to mix it without the reverb i just wasn't enjoying the mix anymore.

Thanks LupoPazzo, haven't had alot of experience with this style of music before., so it's nice to hear your comments. That's one of the beauties of this site.

Don't worry. You did me no harm.lol! It's was nice to hear a different take.
Bold moves can sometimes pay off. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Dave.

Hello Dangerous! I like very much your mix!! Some thinks I think you could try for improvement:
1) You could make your snare a little fuller adding some dbs on the 125-200Hz (you choose) and bring the reverb 2dbs up.
2) You could make your bass more present by adding some 1khz and distortion in order to make the notes more visible.
That's all!! You have done a very good job and I hope you will find my suggestions useful because you are in a very good way and you deserve to go to the next level! Keep up the great job!
(21-04-2016, 05:21 PM)Andreas Tyranopoulos Wrote: Hello Dangerous! I like very much your mix!! Some thinks I think you could try for improvement:
1) You could make your snare a little fuller adding some dbs on the 125-200Hz (you choose) and bring the reverb 2dbs up.
2) You could make your bass more present by adding some 1khz and distortion in order to make the notes more visible.
That's all!! You have done a very good job and I hope you will find my suggestions useful because you are in a very good way and you deserve to go to the next level! Keep up the great job!

Hey Andreas,
Thanks for taking a listen and thanks for the advise. I want to revisit this one so this will be helpful.

Cheers.
Hi Dave,

Think you don't have to change anything, you nailed this one ;-)

Great job!

Cheers,
Luc
Pro Tools 12.7
https://soundcloud.com/luc-van-der-stap
http://www.aecom.nl
-Mobile and static studios are ready :-) http://www.audioreg.com
'Mixing is pure subjective, once the 1st mix is launched it will be considered as the best, hence the standard'
Hey there!! Great, great mix!! Big Grin I love the sound of your drums, specially the kick. To my taste you could even add a bit more reverb to the snare, as well as the voice...as i find that almost the ppl mixes this song pretty dry....I have little more to add...Really Good Work, as Luc says...no need to change anything Smile !!!