Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
SIRENS!! Hard Song to Mix (trying out Mackie's MR5)
This is I believe one of the many hardest songs there are to mix here but honestly I was impressed by how good it sounded considering I did this in about 5 hrs.

Since I'm trying out the MR5 (they sound amazing for the price. Compared them with the yamahas and wow i was blown away with its quality) I decided to take on something hard. I'm very happy with the results. I heard different mixes already and I see that every single one is different. Is almost like this is a hard to judge mix because the possibilities to mix are endless.

Anyways here is my approach.

Feedback is always appreciated.

.mp3    Siren-GeorgiaWonder.mp3 --  (Download: 16.49 MB)

(17-02-2016, 04:08 PM)takka360 Wrote: I like this mix nice job.The only thing that I don't like is the snare sound.
It sort of sounds too compressed for the style of music,but that's just my opinion(minor detail)
Good overall balance tho and the vox sound sweet..
I could never understand mixes of this track never get feedback no matter how good a mix is
but I think the site is a bitl like that now days,ive seen it change a lot in the last 3 years.
Great work you should be pleased with it.
Oh it also translates spot on to my monitors .

Hey takka Thanks Smile

Yeah I wasn't too crazy about the snare after I listen to it over and over. I could turn it up a bit more but I was finding conflict with the main voice. It may sound too compressed because of the low volume but I didn't use much compression on it. (other than on the full drums bus 2:1 ratio -3db)

Thanks for the feed back! I still have to buy a few more acoustic foam panels to fully get rid of the resonances in my room. I just did a freq. ocilation and turned down resonant freq. with an EQ. I used it on my master bus to have a bit more fidelity in the acoustics of my room. At least it sounds good to you and that says a lot to me about these new monitors. Smile
It feels like you got a real early 90's vibe. I dig it man. I agree it might be a bit heavy in the compression, but you didn't squeeze the life out of it. It has a real vibe about it!

Nice work!

Draper
(18-02-2016, 06:28 AM)loweche6 Wrote: It feels like you got a real early 90's vibe. I dig it man. I agree it might be a bit heavy in the compression, but you didn't squeeze the life out of it. It has a real vibe about it!

Nice work!

Draper

Hey thanks drapper!

Yes I agree with Takka as well but I'm glad the mix still feels good to you guys even though the snare is missing power.
Hey Shul ,

Nice mix ,
Congratulations on your mackie monitors ,like any monitors no matter the price ,it takes a while to get used to the sound in your room listening to lot's of high Quality recordings as possible to calibrate your ears as often as possible .
Listening on headphones and Auratones ,I agree a touch more snap on the snare would sound awesome ,also not sure if a touch less 120-150 hz on the bass and a touch more 50hz and a touch more punch on the kick around 90hz area for a touch more punch ?
But getting the bass and kick is and kick to work together is a fun challenge !
Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(19-02-2016, 09:12 AM)thedon Wrote: Hey Shul ,

Nice mix ,
Congratulations on your mackie monitors ,like any monitors no matter the price ,it takes a while to get used to the sound in your room listening to lot's of high Quality recordings as possible to calibrate your ears as often as possible .
Listening on headphones and Auratones ,I agree a touch more snap on the snare would sound awesome ,also not sure if a touch less 120-150 hz on the bass and a touch more 50hz and a touch more punch on the kick around 90hz area for a touch more punch ?
But getting the bass and kick is and kick to work together is a fun challenge !
Cheers Big Grin

Hey theDon thanks for the feedback!

Agree with you and takka on more snap on the snare would sound with more energy. I will give that a shot next time I mix this again. Your Eq suggestions are a bit more subjective in my opinion, but will definitely add more punch on the low end.

Thanks again! Smile
Daang I mixed this a while back and I still have no complains about it.
Damn, I just finished this one and listening to your mix is a good fall back to reality! Bass and drums are just where they should be (that snare works great, reminds me some Blondie disco stuff), but I think the main difference and reason why this works so well is how you managed to make sense of those thousands of acoustic guitar parts.

Vocals seem to lose some protagonism in the verses (especially the "Help Me's"), but that's as much nitpicking I can do with this, this just sounds great!
(02-01-2019, 03:56 PM)Deliza Wrote: Damn, I just finished this one and listening to your mix is a good fall back to reality! Bass and drums are just where they should be (that snare works great, reminds me some Blondie disco stuff), but I think the main difference and reason why this works so well is how you managed to make sense of those thousands of acoustic guitar parts.

Vocals seem to lose some protagonism in the verses (especially the "Help Me's"), but that's as much nitpicking I can do with this, this just sounds great!

Thanks. Yes it's a dense song. Ir was a challenge but glad you liked it Smile