Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Forkupines - Sleep By The Fire, Bloom In water Mix by Ak3r
Well here's my mix. This one seemed to be relatively easy :/ so im really waiting for your comments to put this in perspective.

Cheers

Ak3r

.mp3    FORKUPINES - SLEEP BY MIX 2.2 MASTER BY AK3R.mp3 --  (Download: 7.45 MB)

.mp3    FORKUPINES - SLEEP BY MIX 1 MASTER BY AK3R.mp3 --  (Download: 7.59 MB)

.mp3    FORKUPINES - SLEEP BY MIX 2.2 MASTER 2 BY AK3R.mp3 --  (Download: 7.48 MB)

.mp3    FORKUPINES - SLEEP BY MIX 3 MASTER BY AK3R.mp3 --  (Download: 7.45 MB)

Great sounding mix,good work
You have the makings of a nice mix here. If I'm being critical, the level of the kick is a little bit too high in comparison to the rest of the mix. If you listen at a low level also you will notice this more. The tone of the drums overall is nice. The guitars are a bit fatiguing, you could try a de-esser to get rid of some that high frequency squeal and perhaps a slight mid-range boost to thicken them up a bit. Overall, nice one.
Hi Ak3
Are you following my tracks :-) Yeah I agree what you said to me, this song was not so complicated to mix. Sounds good most of it. Just the kick I found have a strange sound, can't really put my finger on it but sound little soft...
Also I would crank up the voices at 2:35, maybe a matter of taste, but the voice there are pretty cool.

/C
(20-10-2015, 04:43 AM)takka360 Wrote: Great sounding mix,good work

Thanks dude Smile
(20-10-2015, 09:52 AM)mick2015 Wrote: You have the makings of a nice mix here. If I'm being critical, the level of the kick is a little bit too high in comparison to the rest of the mix. If you listen at a low level also you will notice this more. The tone of the drums overall is nice. The guitars are a bit fatiguing, you could try a de-esser to get rid of some that high frequency squeal and perhaps a slight mid-range boost to thicken them up a bit. Overall, nice one.

Thanks for your comment Smile !! Yeah i guess the kick could be a lil lower, my aproach is that u need to hear nicely the kick and snare as they are the ones that carry the rythm section. About the guitar's i might try the de-esser and see how it works Wink .I found that all the guitars had a weird zone around 700hz...that made them sound hollow if u put them all together, and you can hear that in almost all the mixes. I boosted a little bit the low end and cut on purpose that mid-range and used more the 2nd track of each guitar as it had some sweet sounding high frequencies so overall the mix sound cleaner and tighter but sure i can try to give some more body to the guitars.

Cheers

Ak3r
(20-10-2015, 10:21 AM)Cassandra Wrote: Hi Ak3
Are you following my tracks :-) Yeah I agree what you said to me, this song was not so complicated to mix. Sounds good most of it. Just the kick I found have a strange sound, can't really put my finger on it but sound little soft...
Also I would crank up the voices at 2:35, maybe a matter of taste, but the voice there are pretty cool.

/C

Haha!! It seems like that, right? I mixed the song and then saw that u had post already ¬¬¡ hehehe Tongue . The kick and the snare were the only things that gave me a lil more work and after listening to a few mixes im quite happy that at least i got a different aproach, specially with the snare sound. With the kick it has a weird sound as it doesnt have enough low end and the high end sounds too fake...About the voice it's more an artistic choice than any other thing but maybe it's too low yep. Thanks for your comment!! Smile

Ak3r
Out of the mixes I've heard so far I'd this probably the best one. A competent straightforward mix where you didn't seriously f**k up anything.

If you could figure out a way to pull the weight of the kick drum lower, that's something to look out for. You could try to cut some of the higher low end (100-150Hz) and go through the polarities once more in order to see if one of room mics are eating the lowest end away (the kick vs room mics seems be such a hassle in this one).

There's not much you can do about the snare. You could try to distort it ever so slightly in order to get some edge out of it and put whatever compression you had on it post distortion.

I like the prominent guitars. However I feel they're a tad thin. This was one the weird cases where you had to boost the bottom end of the guitars to get the bottom end glue with the midrange.

You could get away with much much more assertive compression on the vocals. FYI: lot of rock hits are mixed with vocals compressed with an 1176 with a slow-ish attack and fastest release Wink De-essing is pretty much mandatory after it though so don't stress about using it.
(20-10-2015, 03:08 PM)Spede Wrote: Out of the mixes I've heard so far I'd this probably the best one. A competent straightforward mix where you didn't seriously f**k up anything.

If you could figure out a way to pull the weight of the kick drum lower, that's something to look out for. You could try to cut some of the higher low end (100-150Hz) and go through the polarities once more in order to see if one of room mics are eating the lowest end away (the kick vs room mics seems be such a hassle in this one).

There's not much you can do about the snare. You could try to distort it ever so slightly in order to get some edge out of it and put whatever compression you had on it post distortion.

I like the prominent guitars. However I feel they're a tad thin. This was one the weird cases where you had to boost the bottom end of the guitars to get the bottom end glue with the midrange.

You could get away with much much more assertive compression on the vocals. FYI: lot of rock hits are mixed with vocals compressed with an 1176 with a slow-ish attack and fastest release Wink De-essing is pretty much mandatory after it though so don't stress about using it.

Wow thanks a lot for everything u said Smile and for all the advices, i'll definetly try them. I was already workin on improving the mix, getting a fatter kick and a better snare, i havent used the room mics as i felt they just fucked things up...so i stick to the OH and that's all. I check them carefully so they wont be out of phase but double check never hurt anyone Wink . I was working on guitars also, boosting a bit around 1k made them feel fuller without getting to the dangerous zone of 700hz. I'll definetly work on the dynamics u said on vocal. Thanks a lot for your comment!!

Ak3r

Ok so i made a few changes regarding what u guys said...Hopefully i've not screwed this hehehe