Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Forkupine Mix
Hey all, first post for this forum/site. Loving this band and their sound!!!

I took a slightly different approach and only used the live recordings etc for the drums, mainly because I go by the principle of "rock what you got".

I'm open to criticism, I'm very new to mixing althought I've been in the music scene for over 15 years. Really hope to learn a few things from you guys Smile

.mp3    Sleep By The Fire, Bloom In Water.mp3 --  (Download: 7.57 MB)

(20-10-2015, 11:13 AM)bnitimmy Wrote: Hey all, first post for this forum/site. Loving this band and their sound!!!

I took a slightly different approach and only used the live recordings etc for the drums, mainly because I go by the principle of "rock what you got".

I'm open to criticism, I'm very new to mixing althought I've been in the music scene for over 15 years. Really hope to learn a few things from you guys Smile

Not a bad mix Wink There's a few strange things...why you panned all guitars left? and then the only thing right is the synth? It doesnt make any sense. As for the drums...I give up...I guess it's almost imposible to make them sound better if you dont use your own samples...Nice work overall.

Cheers

Ak3r
Thanks for the feedback man. It's very strange about the panning. All guitars were panned left and right according to their file number (ie gtr 2 mic 1 L50, gtr 2 mic 2 R50 etc). I'll have a play with it when I get home from work. Maybe one of the plugins I've used has made it left heavy in the stereo mix. The synth was panned right on purpose.

I can see everyone's issues with the drum sounds, but I think it adds to the feel of the band honestly. They aren't terrible!
Yeah, the panning is kinda messed up but obviously it wasn't intended like that. Apart from that it's a really nice and slick mix, I like it!
(20-10-2015, 09:30 PM)bnitimmy Wrote: Thanks for the feedback man. It's very strange about the panning. All guitars were panned left and right according to their file number (ie gtr 2 mic 1 L50, gtr 2 mic 2 R50 etc). I'll have a play with it when I get home from work. Maybe one of the plugins I've used has made it left heavy in the stereo mix. The synth was panned right on purpose.

I can see everyone's issues with the drum sounds, but I think it adds to the feel of the band honestly. They aren't terrible!

Haha those damned plugins Tongue maybe some mono plugins in some stereo bus or something like that. One thing...check ur guitar panning because mic 1 and 2 on all the guitars should be together as they are the same guitar recorded with a different mic. About the drums one tricky part of this song is checking out of phase stuff ...And that snare aaargh :S hehehe

Cheers

Ak3r

Ohhhhh the snare!!!! Arrrrrgh Hahahaha

Just finished work so after I install my ssd I'll be on it. Good day for air con and music work here hahaha
Here's the fixed version Smile

Used mono compressors on the GTR Busses Sad #rookieerror

.mp3    Sleep By The Fire, Bloom In Water.mp3 --  (Download: 7.57 MB)

way better! But seems like your compressors pull up all the reverb in the mix, this sounds super roomy (which isn't bad, just different!).
In my opinion the vocals don't fit right in yet, but that's just a matter of detail correction, right? Smile Good work!
(21-10-2015, 09:49 AM)wurstdrummer Wrote: way better! But seems like your compressors pull up all the reverb in the mix, this sounds super roomy (which isn't bad, just different!).
In my opinion the vocals don't fit right in yet, but that's just a matter of detail correction, right? Smile Good work!

I think what you're hearing is a combination of tape slap and stereo enhancement bringing out the reverb. I'm with you in that it's different. I'm 50/50 as to whether to keep it like that or not. Without it, it sounds a little dull, and with it sounds as it does now.

Also agree on the vocals. certain sections fit better than others but nothing a little automation can't fix right Tongue
Hey there! I dont find particulary annoying the reverb...maybe a little longer and a bit more subtle and it'll be ok. Now the problem is that everything is in the center, the only thing that's on the sides are the toms and the oh's, and the reverb...I dont know if u screwed it up in a different way now hehe. Also i feel like you could compress the whole drums a bit so they would sound a bit tighter.

Cheers

Ak3r