Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bobby Nobody - Stitch Up by JK
I've been mixing heavy metal for the last couple years and thought I should venture out abit so this is my first true attempt to try another genre. Does it sound level? Is there anything I should change up/suggestions? I'm trying to up my game as an engineer and venture outside my comfort zone. All criticism is welcome! This only took me about an hour or 2.

-James

.mp3    bobbynobodyv1.mp3 --  (Download: 8.17 MB)

I could do with a little more verb on the vox. Not a lot, but they seem just a tad dry at points. The jangly guitar just before the recapitulation before the second verse could be a little fatiguing, maybe lower some of the highs just a bit on it? Otherwise, I dig it man. Nice work.

Draper
(07-05-2015, 02:04 AM)loweche6 Wrote: I could do with a little more verb on the vox. Not a lot, but they seem just a tad dry at points. The jangly guitar just before the recapitulation before the second verse could be a little fatiguing, maybe lower some of the highs just a bit on it? Otherwise, I dig it man. Nice work.

Draper

Solid input! Thank you! I was debating about widening out the main vocal line a little also to help with that dryness, I feel like too much verb can often make it sound odd to my ear and I always tend to overdue it on accident so I'm a little hesitant with its use. And I'm dialing back that jangly guitar part, just noticed it was a little loud after reading this. =)

-James
Here's a new version tweaked abit with said changes.

.mp3    bobbynobodyv3.mp3 --  (Download: 8.17 MB)

I like the mix, however, I think the drums could sound a little more powerful. Try supporting the kick and snare with some samples. Also, The vocal could be louder in the 'turn around, hit the ground' section.
Hi vorocity I agree with Niko about the drums, mind you saying that some might say that my drums are too big, I think the guitar in my left can is a bit distracting, still you have a nice sound, thanks.