Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Southern Sirens: 'Rachel' - Olli H
As I wanted to test and study Reapers editing possibilities, this song was just suitable for it.

I tried to do a "small room" version. It was quite difficult for me to make a decent version. While mixing I mainly listened Jason Mraz "I'm Yours" and some Alison Krauss. Maybe I should have listened something not so perfectly mixed stuff as a reference.

.mp3    2015-02-13-rachel-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 12.44 MB)

Very nice, Olli. Nicely balanced and you achieved the small room sound you were looking for in my opinion.
To mix or not to mix ... mix!
Ohh well looks like i'll have to make some comments (like my comments matter)
Comment: Mp3's (Lossy format) are really not a good sonic representation of what's really going on.
I hear this mostly as loss of definition in the low end say below 200Hz an ordinary flatish midrange and a slight loss of sparkle in the tops.
So commenting on anyones mix in here seems silly to me. As we would only be getting knit picky about personal taste (subjective observations) not fundamental errors. Not to mention the lack of use of reference standard gear and untreated rooms. Additionally some people who just like to pick for the sake of picking to annoy others who have too much time on their hands.

In reality it's the paying client who's comments actually matter. Good to see artist Patrick Talbot giving feedback in here.
All that said
Comment: Cool mix dude
(03-03-2015, 12:18 PM)Dave Boogie Wrote: Comment: Mp3's (Lossy format) are really not a good sonic representation of what's really going on.
I hear this mostly as loss of definition in the low end say below 200Hz an ordinary flatish midrange and a slight loss of sparkle in the tops.
So commenting on anyones mix in here seems silly to me. As we would only be getting knit picky about personal taste (subjective observations) not fundamental errors.

For most of the discussion we are engage in here, 320kbps MP3 is more than adequate for making useful comments. However, people are welcome to post links to WAV/AIFF files if they wish. If you feel unable to comment on any of the mixes because of such quality concerns, then you are under no obligation to do so. However, bear in mind that the best way to garner feedback on your own work here is to provide feedback on the work of others.

My 1st attempt  Dodgy i think the ukes are to high up in the mix and the vocal maybe on the harsh side.

.mp3    ANGEL WAV mp.mp3 --  (Download: 6.34 MB)

(04-09-2020, 06:23 PM)DEENELSON Wrote: My 1st attempt  Dodgy
You should make your own thread if you'd like to post a mix others can comment on.
(04-09-2020, 06:37 PM)RoyM Wrote:
(04-09-2020, 06:23 PM)DEENELSON Wrote: My 1st attempt  Dodgy
You should make your own thread if you'd like to post a mix others can comment on.
thank you.
No need to thank me. I'm no hero.