Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Timeless pt.2
Here's a rough mix of this track. I'm having trouble getting the vocals, piano and synths undercontrol. If anyone can help me I would appreciate it  Blush I'm a begginer and all possible help would be appreciated.

.mp3    Timeless pt.2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.18 MB)

Hi!

Sounds like you are off to a good start. This track really is quite tough to mix, so don't worry if you need several attempts at it. It's been a while since I mixed this, I have some general tips that may help:

1. Make sure you have enough headroom on the master bus so you can comfortably turn things up and down in the mix by 6 db or so without going above 0. You can always turn up your monitors, and get things loud once the mix is done.

2. Start off getting a general balance - as per your rough mix. Now you can divide the song up in to sections. You'll probably find that you want the balance to change section to section. Decide what you want to have the listeners attention in each section, and what can go more in the background. Maybe the vocal is a bit loud in one section, but not loud enough in another as the instrumentation changes. Use volume automation to increase/decrease the volume of each part as required to get it where you want (this is where extra headroom on the mix bus comes in handy). Repeat for all sections. You'll also have to work out how loud you want each section relative to each other - you might want the chorus louder than the verses for example. It can help to have a plan in advance, so you can start with the section you want loudest, and work backwards. Things that you feel are important go upfront and center, less important things can be panned to the sides, or be lower in volume.

3. Whilst doing your general balance, and then balancing each section you'll probably get a good idea of eq/compression/effects etc you might want to add.

4. Listen to pro mixes to hear how they do it. Also check out the mixes on here, and if you find something you like, you can always try asking the mixer how it was done.

Does that help any? Or am I way off base as to what you are asking?

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Hi.
Thank you so much for your advice! The process of starting with the loudest sections for the song seems like a good idea. I'll try remixing the song this week with that method. I will try to get a good mix that way. I also noticed that all the instruments sounded way too loud, so I'll also try to give it some head room.
I'll post the re-mix sooner or later Smile
Cheers!
This is quite handy too (if you don't have it already)  Smile.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(31-10-2021, 10:26 PM)mikej Wrote: Hi!

Sounds like you are off to a good start.  This track really is quite tough to mix, so don't worry if you need several attempts at it.  It's been a while since I mixed this, I have some general tips that may help:

1. Make sure you have enough headroom on the master bus so you can comfortably turn things up and down in the mix by 6 db or so without going above 0.  You can always turn up your monitors, and get things loud once the mix is done.

2. Start off getting a general balance - as per your rough mix.  Now you can divide the song up in to sections.  You'll probably find that you want the balance to change section to section.  Decide what you want to have the listeners attention in each section, and what can go more in the background.  Maybe the vocal is a bit loud in one section, but not loud enough in another as the instrumentation changes.  Use volume automation to increase/decrease the volume of each part as required to get it where you want (this is where extra headroom on the mix bus comes in handy).  Repeat for all sections.  You'll also have to work out how loud you want each section relative to each other - you might want the chorus louder than the verses for example.  It can help to have a plan in advance, so you can start with the section you want loudest, and work backwards.  Things that you feel are important go upfront and center, less important things can be panned to the sides, or be lower in volume.

3.  Whilst doing your general balance, and then balancing each section you'll probably get a good idea of eq/compression/effects etc you might want to add.

4. Listen to pro mixes to hear how they do it.  Also check out the mixes on here, and if you find something you like, you can always try asking the mixer how it was done.

Does that help any?  Or am I way off base as to what you are asking?

Cheers!
Hi. After some weeks of procrastinating (hehe), I decided to give it another try with your advice. So here's the mix I cooked up this weekend. I think I achieved a better version  Sleepy

.mp3    Timeless pt.2 (re-mixed).mp3 --  (Download: 6.89 MB)