Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jay Menon - Through My Eyes (Hein-Ivan Mix)
A classic pop song with a very nice vocal. Hope you like my mix, thanks!

V2 some changes!

.mp3    Jay Menon - Through My Eyes.mp3 --  (Download: 9.47 MB)

.mp3    Jay Menon - Through My Eyes V2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.48 MB)

New version V2 some changes!
(19-02-2021, 02:55 PM)heinim Wrote: New version V2 some changes!
Hi Heinim,

Nice tonality to all the instruments and everything sounds nice and smooth.

I feel like the compression is "grabbing" the vocal too much in a few places, where automation would give a more natural result, for instance around 0:25 "magic in my heart"; the word "heart" pulls right back. Either the compressor, or some tweaking of automation if you've done it that way.

I do feel the vocal needs quite a bit of lush reverb as it sounds a little uncomfortable being so close.

Also automating level of the pads to let certain bits come forward (like the intro and the nice string passage around 1:25. In fact automation of the nylon guitar to push it right forward in the gaps between vocals like around 2:25 would give  some more interest. Basically keeping the vocal on top of the mix but finding those little gaps to boldly push something up the mix.

Also reverb on the nylon guitar solo would be nice.

Overall nicely balanced, very smooth, but automation of quite a few things to allow them to push forward then drop back would add some interest; be bold - if something is "too loud" for a few seconds, then by the time the ear thinks "hey this is a problem" you can have dropped the level back down a bit.

Great job!
(23-02-2021, 12:16 PM)jlawford Wrote:
(19-02-2021, 02:55 PM)heinim Wrote: New version V2 some changes!
Hi Heinim,

Nice tonality to all the instruments and everything sounds nice and smooth.

I feel like the compression is "grabbing" the vocal too much in a few places, where automation would give a more natural result, for instance around 0:25 "magic in my heart"; the word "heart" pulls right back. Either the compressor, or some tweaking of automation if you've done it that way.

I do feel the vocal needs quite a bit of lush reverb as it sounds a little uncomfortable being so close.

Also automating level of the pads to let certain bits come forward (like the intro and the nice string passage around 1:25. In fact automation of the nylon guitar to push it right forward in the gaps between vocals like around 2:25 would give  some more interest. Basically keeping the vocal on top of the mix but finding those little gaps to boldly push something up the mix.

Also reverb on the nylon guitar solo would be nice.

Overall nicely balanced, very smooth, but automation of quite a few things to allow them to push forward then drop back would add some interest; be bold - if something is "too loud" for a few seconds, then by the time the ear thinks "hey this is a problem" you can have dropped the level back down a bit.

Great job!
Hi jlawford! Many thanks for the comments and suggestions. I did use a lot of vocal riding and on the nylon guitar I did use WalhallaRoom but not more that 15% I wanted it to be up close. Maybe I'll do another mix later on. Cheers!