Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Encanto Tropical-The sum of all your mixes
After a day of hanging out here listening to a bunch of mixes, I "borrowed" all the good ideas from all the mixes I like and combine into mine. If you hear something familiar, chances are I kinda borrow it from you. Let me know how you like it, and if you don't like something, just let me know. There is nothing a stack of 5 compressors cannot fix Smile. Thanks for the listen.

.mp3    EncatoEntropica-sonictramp.mp3 --  (Download: 9.68 MB)

Hi!

It sounds way overcompressed for me I'm afraid. I am not really getting that sense of 'a great recording of great musicians in an island setting' feel. Maybe remove those 5 compressors, and change the vocal reverb for something more natural?

Could just be me and my taste though of course! Smile.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(23-01-2021, 08:48 PM)mikej Wrote: Hi!

It sounds way overcompressed for me I'm afraid.  I am not really getting that sense of  'a great recording of great musicians in an island setting' feel.  Maybe remove those 5 compressors, and change the vocal reverb for something more natural? 

Could just be me and my taste though of course! Smile.

Cheers!

* Thanks, mikej, for leaving a comment. I actually used a lot less compression than usual b/c, imo, the song doesn't need it, very gentle, barely hitting 2dBs GR, more to control the peaks than anything . I wonder what in my mix would indicate over-compression (I still don't hear it. Maybe my listening skill is not up to par?). It would be super helpful if you (or anyone) can point it out for me. The compressor is a beast and everybody knows that in this profession. I'd be lying if I told you I know how to use a compressor. It took me 2 years just to hear the damage it does to my tracks. So, yeah, as for as knowledge/learning is concerned, I'd rather be on the receiving end. You guys have a lot more years in it than I do. I am just barely beginning. You know how it is, the more we learn the better we mix.

About the island feel: to be honest, I have no idea what that means. Right now, at my level, I am more like a technician, not an artist, I suppose. The closest to an island feel, to me, is to roll up a blunt while mixing and pretend I am somewhere in the Caribbean hanging out on a beach drinking with beautiful women, preferably single and slutty. Maybe I'll try that and see if it helps. Cheers!

The stack of 5 compressors was intended to be just a joke. Apology for misleading you into thinking I over-compressed Smile. It's just too stressful mixing, man. A little humor can only provide some relief, right? Or so I thought. Thanks for the comment, man. I appreciate the gesture. This is how we learn, right?
Hi!

I apologise that my comment came across a bit too harsh. I also neglected to mention that it is a good mix overall.

It just felt to me as if some of the dynamics are just a touch too controlled - of the vocal and guitars mainly I think. As if a compressor is holding things down just a little bit too much perhaps.
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(24-01-2021, 12:23 AM)mikej Wrote: Hi!

I apologise that my comment came across a bit too harsh.  I also neglected to mention that it is a good mix overall.

It just felt to me as if some of the dynamics are just a touch too controlled - of the vocal and guitars mainly I think.  As if a compressor is holding things down just a little bit too much perhaps.
* No, man, you don't need to apologize. In what world a good cool dude like you have to apologize for trying to help? I am not offended at all, not even in the slightest, thousands have gotten to me way before you. My skin is as thick as it comes now Wink. I was just surprised. And worry, to be honest. If I missed that, then my listening skill is not as good as I think it is. That, to me, is very alarming. "The most dangerous thing is an illusion of knowledge"- (Einstein). I can almost see my dream evaporate in front of my eyes. Not having a good listening skill in this business is like trying to play piano with no fingers. Imagine the ride! nothing but a rough and life-destroying journey Smile. My message to your comment is just out of curiosity. I want to know what is it that you heard that I missed. Who knows. Maybe you'd be kind enough to show and I'll come out ahead by learning something new. That's all. Cheers!
Hi!

On reflection I thought my comment was too harsh, hence the apology.

I recall there are some little dynamic (volume) rhythmic variations in the guitar strumming, and the intro guitar figure, etc that maybe are just a little too evened out in the mix and I feel I want to hear a bit more of that variation between harder and softer struck and strummed notes. Similar with the little volume swells from the start and end of certain words in the vocals, etc- if that makes sense?