Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Alan Mansfield & John Pritchard - Boat Ride.
Hi!

Gave it a go.

Cheers!

Added mix 2.0 - Slightly different direction.
Added mix 3.0 - Same direction as the first mix, but started over.

.mp3    Alan Mansfield and John Pritchard - Boat Ride.mp3 --  (Download: 8.05 MB)

.mp3    Alan Mansfield and John Pritchard - Boat Ride 2.0.mp3 --  (Download: 8.05 MB)

.mp3    Alan Mansfield and John Pritchard - Boat Ride 3.0.mp3 --  (Download: 8.12 MB)

Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Sounds good .Nice mix with a bit of edge
Hi,

Thanks.

Today, I'm feeling it is a bit too up front and pushed though, and a lot of detail is getting lost in there perhaps?

I've just started on another version using the alternative drum kit. I'm going to see if I can do a more natural and open mix. Let it breath a bit, and get the detail out of the guitars and bg vocals, etc, to try and do the track a bit more justice.

The tracks are really well recorded and played. I really like the arrangement too - especially the way the chorus gets bigger each time without having to do anything in the mix as such to get it to build. The songwriting is good too. The subject matter wasn't at all what I expected when I saw the song title.

I can hear loads of different influences in this. Perhaps a bit of Doors, Lou Reed, Neil Young, etc? Seems you could mix this any way from classic to modern rock. I also get that Mark Knopfler or similar feel I think - it's got that great story telling quality to it anyway.

Anyway, I'm going to give it another go. Certainly plenty of options with the tracks available in the session.

Thanks for sharing. You've got quite some talent there.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
Cheers mate. Between me and my friend that wrote it there is so many people we both like and that probably come out in the track. So glad you like it. Its a great track to mix and match and its all recorded pretty well .Thank you for your kind comments .Your correct in what you say about your mix. The track will push itself without compression .Its already done to a degree .Just put the puzzle together .
Added mix 2.0 - slightly different direction. Might have to try another one with a bit more guitar 5+6.

Cheers!
Hopefully this will be run as a mix contest on Cambridge with Boz Digital Giving a plugin to the winning mix. Still discussing it at the moment but Mike will put it out in his news letter to inform people .
Oh cool! Nice one. Lets hope so!
The mix is getting better and better
Thanks!

I kind of started over for mix 2.0, so they are different things, rather than improvements on the same mix. Trying to get a bit more of a laid back feel, and highlight more of the guitars. I need a lot more practice but I've definitely learned something about mix balance with this go. The tip with the guitars was also really helpful too as I really wasn't getting what I wanted from the guitars.

This is a great session for learning. All of the parts seem to work really well together in whatever combinations you can think of. I think you can try for anything from a more stripped back rock sound, to a more kind of, I dunno, Nashville? kind of a thing. Kind of tough to know which direction to settle on. Really good fun though, and I'm learning a lot too... ...I think!

Cheers!
Cool mate I thought it would be good for the site as anyone no matter what skill level can still get a mix together .I then moved onto the idea of a competition because the variety of the tracks would make it more interesting