Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fade: OUT (Hay-makin' Man) - Completed
Hey Mixthecloud,

Yes, well seen and good question on your part. 

I listened to your different versions again and it was ultimately your first version that convinced me the most. At almost every level compared to your following versions. This is often the case in multiple mixes of the same title: it's the first draft that best reflects the approach you took to make the mix. If I had to make a few minor remarks for this first mix it would of course be to bring out the rolls and ghost notes of the snare and lower the organ a little in the final solo parts. 

It’s still good work; Mix n°1 convincing. And we leave it there, if you wish...

Cheers !

Franz

p.s.: in fact, for me, there is no bad mix or good mix, there are simply mixes...
(17-03-2024, 10:40 PM)Franz Wrote: Hey Mixthecloud,
I listened to your different versions again and it was ultimately your first version that convinced me the most
I've not heard every mix nor have deeply listened to the ones I've had but I feel like this might be my opinion too. Briefly going back between mix 5 and 1 and 1 caught my attention more, for better or worse.

Yes, well seen and good question on your part. 

I listened to your different versions again and it was ultimately your first version that convinced me the most. At almost every level compared to your following versions. This is often the case in multiple mixes of the same title: it's the first draft that best reflects the approach you took to make the mix. If I had to make a few minor remarks for this first mix it would of course be to bring out the rolls and ghost notes of the snare and lower the organ a little in the final solo parts. 

It’s still good work; Mix n°1 convincing. And we leave it there, if you wish...

Cheers !

Franz

p.s.: in fact, for me, there is no bad mix or good mix, there are simply mixes...
Yes. The more I do this, the more my first musical impression have been the most valid. Many times, further fiddling results in lesser outcomes. If someone could just say, "Ok. this mix is done". But no. We suffer through our doubts and what-if scenarios. I do wonder how this changes when there is a client involved and money at stake.
Anyway, Franz, thanks for the review. It is very helpful.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(18-03-2024, 12:59 AM)Roy Wrote:
I listened to your different versions again and it was ultimately your first version that convinced me the most
I've not heard every mix nor have deeply listened to the ones I've had but I feel like this might be my opinion too. Briefly going back between mix 5 and 1 and 1 caught my attention more, for better or worse.
Thanks, Roy. It is becoming clearer to me that I should stick with my best, first impressions and not venture too far afield from what my gut tells me. Not always the case, but seemingly so for this one.  Thanks again for the review.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(11-03-2024, 06:03 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:
(11-03-2024, 09:30 AM)ERJEE Wrote: Hi! Listening to your fade mix and I like the vibe of it. I think your snare lacks a bit of body. Also it feels to me that the acoustic guitars are not blending well in the bombastic parts.
Maybe the vocals are a bit too wet in the verses?

Cheers!
I've addressed the snare. let me know if you think this works better. I left the acoustics as they were as this was by design.
Thanks for the listen and comments.
Hi! I just listened to your v5 and I still feel your drums lack body (~ 200hz?).. actually it's the whole mix that could use more low end (~100hz) I think?

Cheers!
(19-03-2024, 12:24 PM)ERJEE Wrote:
(11-03-2024, 06:03 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:
(11-03-2024, 09:30 AM)ERJEE Wrote: Hi! Listening to your fade mix and I like the vibe of it. I think your snare lacks a bit of body. Also it feels to me that the acoustic guitars are not blending well in the bombastic parts.
Maybe the vocals are a bit too wet in the verses?

Cheers!
I've addressed the snare. let me know if you think this works better. I left the acoustics as they were as this was by design.
Thanks for the listen and comments.
Hi! I just listened to your v5 and I still feel your drums lack body (~ 200hz?).. actually it's the whole mix that could use more low end (~100hz) I think?

Cheers!
Agreed. My original Fade version is the best of the bunch. The later versions were just way too squeezed. Thanks for the listen and comment, ERJEE.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Why have we started changing the intentions of the artist arrangement ;is this a remix site or a mixing site.
Is not our intentions as mix engineers to enhance the artist set intentions?
listen to v 5, then back to your first mix, Mix cloud, I like the feel of the first mix It captures the jazz feel, and your elements with the exception of the bass and acoustics guitar all sit well. your first thought of image and balance of all elements feel more natural than your mix 5.
The good old drums, yes lots of talk on this one, on the first mix yes drums need sorting which I think a lot of work has gone into getting them to sound as in v5 , your first mix is a more solid and balanced; with those v5 drums without phase on cymbals, and a few carefully selected verbs delay on your element in v1 could push your first MIX into first place.
Hearing my thoughts is going to be a little frustrating, I would like to say the other songs you have mixed you have keep to you intentions, and they have come through solid.
I think v1 would be worth a re visit.

keep on keeping on
(19-03-2024, 06:58 PM)Rustyruss Wrote: listen to v 5, then back to your first mix,  Mix cloud, I like the feel of the first mix It captures the jazz feel, and your elements with the exception of the bass and acoustics guitar all sit well. your first thought of image and balance of all elements feel more natural than your mix 5.
The good old drums, yes lots of talk on this one, on the first mix yes drums need sorting which I think a lot of work has gone into getting them  to sound as in v5 ,  your first mix is a more solid and balanced; with those v5 drums without phase on cymbals, and a few carefully selected verbs delay on your element in v1 could push your first MIX  into first place.
Hearing my thoughts is going to be a little frustrating, I would like to say the other songs you have mixed you have keep to you intentions, and they have come through solid.
I think v1 would be worth a re visit.

keep on keeping on
Hey RustyRuss,

Thanks for your comments and listening to other mixes of mine for reference. First impressions are important. For this song, they certainly found more of the core of the song. I'd be reticent to return to V1 and make any changes since it seems more likely I'd end up farther away from the song. I used to give myself 7 versions of a mix. Typically, if I moved past 7 iterations of a mix, I've pretty much lost the song by then. Not all the time, but more often than not.  Again, thanks so much for the listen and comments.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
your welcome, I look forward to listening to your next song choice.