Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mykey Massacre - Open Fire
Hi!

Yeah you are spot on with the backing vocal fx - it is just a delay! It's a send to a quarter note ping pong delay that goes to another send for a small touch of reverb. I thought it added a nice bit of interest / drama. I had them quite buried in the first mixes, I brought them a bit more forward based on your earlier comments, then had the idea to make a bit more of a feature of them.

I'll have a look at the HH and the overs. The HH is supposed to be just there, but I maybe brought it back too much. Got me thinking I'll have to check I didn't forget to unmute it or do something else daft like that now. When I was listening to the Judas Priest - Panic Attack track - which I guess I am using for my main ref - I felt the overs were not too present. I'll check it again I guess.

To me the Panic Attack mix is a lot drier and cleaner compared to the library mix - especially the vocal. There was a lot of reverb/slap back delay on the library mix vocal too which I don't hear on recent metal mixes, so I made this mix a lot drier also. I did put some (ducking) delay on the vocal low in the mix though. I also blended in a slightly darker snare sample too as I felt the snare of the Judas Priest track was a touch darker than the Open Fire snare and I felt it worked better and let the guitars feel a bit more present. I feel the snare can have quite an effect on the perceived tonal balance of a track, and how you perceive the brightness of the other instruments.

I also did a fair bit of manual de-essing to try and reduce some of the high frequency info from the vocal where perhaps it wasn't needed, which I think also helps to clean up the high end of the track a bit too.

I'll check the eq on the rhythm guitar to see if I can spot what is going on - I didn't eq the verse differently so there shouldn't be any change. Could be a rendering bug or something perhaps - have to see.

I think it was about this time last year when I mixed Darkride - Hammer down and felt I was really getting the hang of mixing heavier tracks, but it's oh so easy to go off and get it completely wrong!

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(08-01-2024, 09:21 AM)mikej Wrote: Hi!

Yeah you are spot on with the backing vocal fx - it is just a delay!...
Thanks for the delay tip. I'll try that on futures mixes to see how it comes.
Now knowing you reference track that u used, i understand now the approach that u made. To me. since the first play, the track had this classic sound to me. It remembered to that classic one "Balls to the wall" by Accept sound, the gtr's doesn't have that lower punch and the drums aren't that heavy as the modern Rock/Metal sounds. Perhaps it's why in Panic Attack the Rob's voice it's so clear, having a low register in the instruments and at the same time the high register of his voice really stands out of them. So, in Open Fire the lead vox can't do that and maybe the instruments can't be that lower or the mix will end sounding too buried. (That's my personal opinion). That's why in my mix i wasn't afraid (not saying that u were Smile ) of using fx's to get more exited sounds 'cos i was looking to get that classic "vibe". (I'm not saying that my mix sounds like that, i know that is not even close). So, yeah, that's why it's so cool to upload our mixes here to compare the different approaches of all of us. Anyway, good chat mike, looking forward to more reviews.
Cheers!
Hi!

The later Judas Priest stuff to me sounds like a cleaner more modern update to the classic sound, which I like a lot.

Well, the session seemed to be as I expected - couldn't find any issues as such. Think the 'muddiness' of guitar might actually be the bass. Anyway - I've uploaded mix 2.1 where I've mainly bumped up the OH/Hat/Ride just a little bit and a few smaller changes.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!
(09-01-2024, 09:24 PM)mikej Wrote: Hi!

The later Judas Priest stuff to me sounds like a cleaner more modern update to the classic sound, which I like a lot.

Well, the session seemed to be as I expected - couldn't find any issues as such.  Think the 'muddiness' of guitar might actually be the bass.  Anyway - I've uploaded mix 2.1 where I've mainly bumped up the OH/Hat/Ride just a little bit and a few smaller changes.

Cheers!
Hi Mike! The newest version sounds really good, the rhythm gtr now sounds more even, now i can hear the H.H and i like the cymbals and overs, i could hear the different vol automatization of them (i think that u used some of that, or maybe not), feels now in place, (at least to me Smile ) Those solo's hears nice, Good job! Without anything to add, well.
Cheers!
Hi,

Many thanks for the checking back and for the comments - much appreciated!

Cheers!