Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Who I Am" MIX by Ian Scott Stewart
(02-06-2012, 12:58 AM)Ian Scott Stewart Wrote: Hi Mike, Hi Everyone

Mike I sure like this site and your book! I am greatful that you are willing to share you professional insite to our mixes. It's just great!

Lend me your ears on my mix.

Thank you for now.
Later
Ian Scott Stewart

Beautiful mix of the music! The only problem is that everything sounds a little dry; the whole mix is SCREAMING for reverb. Keep it subtle, of course; you don't want to bury all that wonderful detail you have here. Just give it enough to give the whole thing a little "presence."

You could do that by channeling the whole mix through a send effect. Just apply a subtle, almost subliminal reverb. Good way to know if you've got enough: if you can hear the reverb clearly when you solo a track but not when playing your whole mix then you've probably got a decent balance. Smile

There is only one major problem with this mix: the vocals sound WAY harsh. You need to back WAY off on the EQ here.

The original vocal tracks are of EXCEPTIONAL quality (they were, after all, Telefunken mic demos); they don't NEED such aggressive EQ. You could probably get away with using them with no EQ at all. If you want to give them a little more air and presence you could boost 5-6 dB at 5 kHz and a couple dB at 12 kHz but I wouldn't do any more.

The vocals, though, are the only major miss. Otherwise a solid mix, very enjoyable to listen to. Wink
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Who I Am" MIX by Ian Scott Stewart - by Pedaling Prince - 06-01-2014, 04:19 AM