Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stef Dam Mix
(08-02-2013, 04:56 PM)StefDam Wrote: Hey guys,
I've seen quite a few mixes of this one already, but I'm kinda new to this forum and I liked the song. I mixed it quickly this morning, due strict times. Hope you guys can give me advice on what I can do better. Thanks in advance for listening!

This is a quick mix? That explains it. It sounds like the unfinished stage of an excellent mix in progress. Wink

For one thing, it sounds like this is a preliminary mix for balance without a final stereo image in mind; everything feels collapsed towards the center. Here's some tips on how you might fix that:

First, listen to the drum overheads, try to determine where each drum is in the stereo image, then pan the positions of each of the close mics as close as you can get them to those positions; that should give you a good stereo balance on the drums.

Now look at the individual instrument tracks and imagine in your mind's eye a stage where each of those tracks represents a performer; make sure your performers are spread comfortably on your mental "stage." Wink Now, adjust the pan on each track until each instrument is in the place where you picture that performer in your mind.

Vocals, of course, will be dead center. I must say the vocals sounded beautiful already so you really don't need to do much with them, anyway, other than balancing them in the revised mix. Wink I'd bring the backing vocals up a little against the lead, though (common problem with mixes of this song).

Loved the nice full bass sound you got here and the overall balance is decent, though I'd bring up most of the instruments a few dB and that dobro is WAY too far forward; it needs to come down a good 5-6 dB.

Good art (and, make no mistake, for all the technobabble we use, us mix engineers ARE artists Big Grin) takes time. If possible, try not to mix under such intensive time pressure; give yourself the time to do it right the first time (as Mike Holmes would say). Wink
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince

Messages In This Thread
Stef Dam Mix - by StefDam - 08-02-2013, 04:56 PM
RE: Stef Dam Mix - by ThePhonk - 09-02-2013, 01:31 AM
RE: Stef Dam Mix - by StefDam - 10-02-2013, 12:13 PM
RE: Stef Dam Mix - by ThePhonk - 11-02-2013, 03:15 AM
RE: Stef Dam Mix - by Mike Senior - 20-02-2013, 10:15 PM
RE: Stef Dam Mix - by Pedaling Prince - 05-01-2014, 03:31 AM