Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Downtempo
This is a great song. It was hard for me to determine the musical role intended for each of the sound effect tracks... it took a couple rough mixes before it became apparent. There also seems to be a bit of digital distortion on quite a few of the tracks.. there's a lot of sub on the unprocessed hat and shakers, which is a pretty big clue from the get go, but the bass synth and the transitional swells in the beginning both have a bit of the "swirly whirlies" like you get with low bit rate mp3s, and it's not readily apparent until you start distorting and saturating to give the tracks a little flavor. Probably these distortions are from a waveshaper or bit-crusher to lend to the lo-fi atmosphere, but I still did the best I could to control the side effects with EQ and editing.

Since there's been so much talk about loudness-normalization (EBU r128) on the forum lately, I got an EBU compliant meter and mastered this to -20 LUFS... about halfway between the EBU standard and Apple Soundcheck. LRA seems low at 10.5 LU, but the droning pad and bass sort of put a low ceiling on dynamics throughout most of the song.

Hope you like, comments/criticisms are welcome.

.mp3    downtempo master.mp3 --  (Download: 7.49 MB)

I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!

Messages In This Thread
Downtempo - by pauli - 05-02-2015, 04:46 PM
RE: Downtempo - by manuke - 09-02-2015, 10:20 AM
RE: Downtempo - by pauli - 09-02-2015, 10:52 PM
RE: Downtempo - by manuke - 10-02-2015, 06:25 AM
RE: Downtempo - by sano - 10-02-2015, 09:07 PM
RE: Downtempo - by pauli - 11-02-2015, 04:49 AM