Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Girls With Glasses - HB Mix
(25-11-2014, 11:55 AM)HbGuitar Wrote: new version, mix_02

Whole new FX treatment - built from scratch. Overall difference in the listening experience is pretty subtle to the casual listener but to my ears, the mix is now more open with more depth.

v2 mix has better clarity and sounds less congested with subsequently more space between the instruments. the vocal on v2 has more presence too, which is a bonus, and takes a step forwards in the mix as a consequence. the placement of the egtr in the v1 mix is badly smeared and less focused in the panorama as a consequence, with it seemingly occupying more width and potential masking issues. but in the v2 it is clearly coming from the left and has it's place. i think this egtr is a good example perhaps of not having to use Haas for the placement.

i think i'm hearing mp3 artifacts, unless it's aliasing from somewhere....it's in both v1 and v2 mixes in equal amounts, so i guess it's the encoder working against you.

you are a great sport Hb, for grappling with this subject and with such relish and determination; you're obvious energy and enthusiasm is fantastic. well done for picking up the gauntlet in the recommendation....i respect that massively.

one thing i did stumble on in a post above where you mentioned, to quote:

"...but one doesn't always want to have to make it dull to push it back into the mix, especially if the song/artist wants a bright tone.....so an effective reverb approach is required"

if the Artist want's a bright tone and the instrument is back in the mix, they are messing with science and our understanding of depth and space. treble gets lost to air with increasing distance - fact. now, if an Artist want's to put out the wrong psychoacoustic message in their song and cause a distraction (to most people it will be subconscious, but to the knowledgeable it will be very conscious!), then so be it. it's only right that it is their final decision of course, but it's only right that we should at least tell them the risks they are facing. if it's only their immediate friends and family who are the audience, then nobody is going to lose their career.....but if it's someone who's seeking the respect and admiration of a wider audience, and one i might add, that's far less forgiving(!), then they'd be wise to take your advice on board generally, eh?

if the tone imparted by the instrument isn't the right message for the depth as we'd expect and in accordance with the laws of science (along with the appropriate change in volume/gain/level), do please take note that no reverb will ever be effective, indeed, it will be a contradiction. no artist want's contradictions because they are a distraction from the emotion the Artist is wishing to convey. unless....the Artist is intentionally seeking contradiction....this is Art after all Big Grin

keep up the great work!
D.
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!

Messages In This Thread
Girls With Glasses - HB Mix - by HbGuitar - 15-11-2014, 03:30 AM
RE: Girls With Glasses - HB Mix - by klangbild - 15-11-2014, 10:44 AM
RE: Girls With Glasses - HB Mix - by HbGuitar - 16-11-2014, 07:44 AM
RE: Girls With Glasses - HB Mix - by HbGuitar - 17-11-2014, 12:37 PM
RE: Girls With Glasses - HB Mix - by ptalbot - 19-11-2014, 10:15 PM
RE: Girls With Glasses - HB Mix - by pauli - 20-11-2014, 02:29 AM
RE: Girls With Glasses - HB Mix - by ptalbot - 20-11-2014, 03:01 AM
RE: Girls With Glasses - HB Mix - by ptalbot - 27-11-2014, 02:53 PM