Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First mix, first post
I discovered that Mike covered my mix on the October podcast while I was catching up over the holidays. Thanks Mike! I think his feedback was spot on though I will say that in my opinion sample mix is *overly* bass heavy based on my references. Then again, most of my references are from the late 90's, early 00's though so maybe I need to go out and find some new rock to listen to!

I've updated my mix to incorporate most of Mike's feedback. Since my last mix, I've acquired Addictive Trigger (which is quite a lovely plugin) and I used it to layer in snare and kick samples underneath the existing drums. The kick sample I liked the best was a bit beater heavy so I used a transient designer to pull out a bit of the attack and soften it.

I agree that the low end was light in the 40-50Hz range. I was already cranking the EQ on the kick at 50Hz so I focused on the bass instead. I boosted a bit near the fundamental frequency of the low G (roughly 1 octave). I also rebalanced the kick and bass a bit volume-wise.

On the vocals, I was surprised at how far I could pull it back, particularly on the chorus. I took out about 4.5dB without any negative effects at all, only positive. I suspect I had become a bit fixated on the vocals while getting all of the delay throws, distortion, and parallel processing set up. I probably lost my ability to see the forest for the trees as a result.

On the electric guitar, I switched from microshift to a simpler doubling plugin which does seem to leave more of an edge in the sound while still giving me the stereo width I was looking for.

I think that covers most of the changes. I didn't spend time getting into additional automation as I'm working on another mix at the moment, and I'm quite comfortable with automation.

.mp3    2019-01-13-fragile-thoughts-tjh.mp3 --  (Download: 7.37 MB)

Messages In This Thread
First mix, first post - by UprightJoe - 03-11-2014, 12:31 AM
RE: First mix, first post - by jeremias666 - 03-11-2014, 02:00 AM
RE: First mix, first post - by UprightJoe - 16-09-2018, 08:03 PM
RE: First mix, first post - by UprightJoe - 21-09-2018, 05:10 AM
RE: First mix, first post - by UprightJoe - 13-01-2019, 04:47 PM