Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Howlin - The Metallurgist's alternative perspective....
(23-08-2014, 09:50 AM)juanjose1967 Wrote: Dave, I didn't quite understand what you meant by "you won't find vanilla here", but as soon as the first notes started, I understood it quite well Smile

vanilla, to me, is taking what is there, not questioning it's relevance, it's emotional contribution, it's location in the song, like simply doing the mix without consideration of the bigger picture. sure, vanilla has it's place, but i didn't think this multi was one of them.

Quote:I love how dark you've made the song to sound, and that new point of view you've given to it. I don't know if the composer of the song would like those changes, but I do like them and for I can see, I'm not the only one here. So good job!!

spectral distribution i.e. the colour of a mix, is an objective assessment, not a subjective one, which i believe makes @jeremias666's comment an uninformed one. yep, liking or disliking the colour of a mix is of course a subjective assessment, and that's fine too.

by the time i'd evaluated all the materials before me, and managed to sort the obvious(?) distractions and Fab Dupont "decoys" from the stuff that i felt had REAL relevance to the song's lyrical composition, was i able to find the vision here. i deleted a lot of surplus noises which contributed nada to the song and simply caused clutter in the spectrum. too much clutter means instruments lose definition and presence (e.g. @jeremias666's mix of Howlin, in my opinion), and then a mix becomes difficult to engage with because everything just merges into one big splodge - not good for communicating emotion.

at first hearing this mix, one could be excused for thinking the composer might not find it appropriate, however, i've actually done nothing other than mute out the over-abundance of material that ALWAYS comes with musicians who don't know when to stop recording!! incidentally, i felt Fab intentionally put in more material...and had stuff running far too soon and in irrelevant places, simply to sort the men out from the boys Big Grin

thanks for dropping in and sharing your objectivity and subjectivity here, Juan, always deeply appreciated. how're things in the Boiler Room.... the forum's been quiet without you lately!

subjectively and objectively looking forward to checking out what you've been upto with your mixing....i'm nearly up and running from a major DAW crash.
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Howlin - The Metallurgist's alternative perspective.... - by The_Metallurgist - 31-08-2014, 07:38 PM
RE: Howlin - The Metallurgist's alternative perspective.... - by thelongestyear - 21-09-2014, 09:06 PM