Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Howlin - HB Mix
(22-08-2014, 11:42 AM)HbGuitar Wrote: I did try a wetter howl and drier response, but to my ears i didn't like the interplay with the extended vowel sounds of the howl and the FX

What about using a comparatively short reverb pulse on the howls and restricting the responses to delays? That wouldn't have the consquences you were avoiding, and was indeed my approach... but it's admittedly cookie cutter, so full credit to you for a more gutsy processing Smile

(20-08-2014, 11:39 PM)pauli Wrote: but it sounds to me like they're smothering the entire mix for a brief moment in this version.

Quote:That's kinda intentional on my part....if indeed we are talking about the same thing...but the response is designed to very briefly, at certain points only...swell and get big....and return to normal very quickly...but perhaps i could make this slightly more subtle..i was just having fun and being creative

Yeah, I dig the idea, too. It really gives a lot of power and a sense of hugeness to the vocals that has a really nice emotional punch. And in terms of mix smothering, I'd say "smother away!" but I'd still be careful to make sure the beat cuts through. This is ultimately a dance song, so if the beat gets swallowed, if only for a moment, it might disengage the target audience. Musically and emotionally it's a cool move, but on the dance floor it might be frustrating.

Quote:For sure.....I guess on any given day it could be different....I'd probably do it slightly differently next week

With this many tracks, there are at least as many valid interpretations for study. We could go around and around on this one for weeks, because there's so much high quality material to work from.

(20-08-2014, 11:39 PM)pauli Wrote: My observation/opinion is that in this style of music, the strength of the beat should be one of the most critical priorities because that's what's really driving the song.

Quote:As ever, your insights are much appreciated and thought provoking.....I'm certainly producing better mixes as a result of them

Don't make me blush Smile I've learned at least as much from you. All of us here have individual ways of looking at sounds and songs, and you earn full respect for actually thinking about what people are saying and trying to listen to the song the way they're hearing it. That's what's going to make you an earning engineer.
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!

Messages In This Thread
Howlin - HB Mix - by HbGuitar - 19-08-2014, 01:19 PM
RE: Howlin - HB Mix - by pauli - 20-08-2014, 11:39 PM
RE: Howlin - HB Mix - by HbGuitar - 22-08-2014, 11:42 AM
RE: Howlin - HB Mix - by pauli - 22-08-2014, 06:23 PM
RE: Howlin - HB Mix - by thelongestyear - 21-09-2014, 09:39 PM
RE: Howlin - HB Mix - by HbGuitar - 03-11-2014, 04:07 AM