Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Spede's (almost) Total Conversion (MIX)
Hi. I too participated in this Howlin' contest. I'll copy-paste my original writing regarding my mix:

I submitted my mix couple of days ago. Took the time to take couple of screenshots from my edit window today (including some volume rides).

While I felt the song was nothing short of amazing, I felt the arrangement was lacking just a bit of meat, especially for the choruses. So I ended up mangling some of the sounds quite a lot. I was using surprisingly lots of octavers in this mix (blending octave up or down with the original signal) to pull the weight of a track to a different direction. You see no plugins in my hihat tracks because they were rendered into the tracks (to save CPU time), the hihats sound very different from the original. The Puremix team is either going to love or hate my approach Big Grin

There's a small Spike Stent wannabe living inside me when it comes mixing electronic music. I'm always trying to find the maximum dynamics for the song (via obsessive riding), yet use lots of compression and distortion to bring some attitude to a song.

One thing worth pointing from the screenshots is the fact that every single track's output is routed to main out. Essentially I don't use auxes to group tracks together if there just isn't need to. IMO compressing 12 BV tracks individually sounds better than compressing them with a single compressor via aux. I also don't use any I/O template but create the FX (and the send/return) on the spot (usually right next to the track it's gonna be used on).

.m4a    Howlin\'_SpedeMix_200514_320.m4a --  (Download: 10.37 MB)

Messages In This Thread
Spede's (almost) Total Conversion (MIX) - by Spede - 10-08-2014, 06:20 PM
RE: Spede's (almost) Total Conversion (MIX) - by thelongestyear - 21-09-2014, 10:11 PM