Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Amber Skye: 'Howlin'
Hey Alan, I don't how I missed your mix of this tune, I thought I'd heard them all...

I think what Olli is commenting on is related to my main quibble with the mix, which is that it is RED HOT. During the loudest sections I can hear the vocal reacting pretty strongly to a compressor, so it may be that the hotter vocal is masking the snare, or if there is a lot of compression on the master bus or during master, it may be that louder sounds are pushing the snare down, because I hear it too. Even considering that though I think there are a lot of good sounds going on, and some interesting ideas in the vocal tracks, such as the removed melody during the "howlin at the moonlight" vocal, making it more of a counterpoint to the melody. I thought that was weird at first but when I got used to it (after having heard my mix about 6 zillion times) it's growing on me.

I'm hearing the same bass issue that Olli is, too, and to my ears it sounds like overcompressing the master again. Rather than doing a full revision... you might try just easing off any mastering compression, or slowing the attack/release a bit. Or if you're using a mastering style compressor, you could mix in less of the wet sound. It sounds good to me in many ways, but the compression feels a bit violent. But I'm one to undercompress, so take my comments with that in mind.

Are the "arp" tracks a bit too abrasive from 10k to 15k? Maybe a little... sometimes those tracks sound like I was flossing my ears, they're so hard to mix.
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!

Messages In This Thread
Amber Skye: 'Howlin' - by takka360 - 05-08-2014, 09:37 PM
RE: Amber Skye: 'Howlin' - by Olli H - 05-08-2014, 09:57 PM
RE: Amber Skye: 'Howlin' - by takka360 - 07-08-2014, 01:48 PM
RE: Amber Skye: 'Howlin' - by Olli H - 07-08-2014, 05:56 PM
RE: Amber Skye: 'Howlin' - by takka360 - 07-08-2014, 07:16 PM
RE: Amber Skye: 'Howlin' - by Olli H - 08-08-2014, 10:22 AM
RE: Amber Skye: 'Howlin' - by pauli - 08-08-2014, 03:58 PM