Poll: How good is this mix?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Really, really bad
0%
0 0%
A little less bad, but still bad
0%
0 0%
Not so bad at all
0%
0 0%
More okay then bad
11.76%
2 11.76%
Okay with some bad stuff
29.41%
5 29.41%
It's okay. Really.
58.82%
10 58.82%
Total 17 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bannockburn - a black metal moshfest (NEW MIX / UPDATE March 2017)
-------------- NEW POSTING AND MIX (MARCH 2017)

I´m revisiting some of my old mixes to get a feel how much I have developed my skills in the past 2-3 years. Bannockburn was one of my first mixes (if not THE first) I have ever done besides mixing my own songs, so this song is somewhat special for me. After listening to my old mix I felt the need to do it again and see where it takes me. I started from scratch, and surprisingly it took me less than four hours to finish this mix.

I've spend most of that time choosing the right kick/snare/tom samples for this style of music and of course picking the right guitar sim which is kinda different compared with my old workflow. My main goal was to get the best source tones possible for this song/genre so I could concentrate on mixing, not fixing things.

I came up with samples from Eyal Levis Drumforge Addon and Toneforge Menace for the guitars. After that, it was a matter of minutes to get a quick, basic mix of the song with all instruments in the right spot and another 60 minutes to add reverb, delays and all the bells and whistles.

The end result: Bannockburn_new_2017 has way more clarity, punch, depth and definition compared with the muddy, grumpy mix I did three years ago. Looks like my Nail the Mix subscription has paid off Smile

------------------------------------- OLD POSTING AND MIX FROM 2014
Hey guys,

I was bored mixing my own stuff so i picked up this song and worked on it for about 6 hours. Bannockburn is a straightforward black metal song so I tried to mix it like most of the black metal songs I know:

- Thin guitars
- very "light" kick drum
- reverb, reverb, reverb

.mp3    Bannockburn_old_2014.mp3 --  (Download: 11.27 MB)

.mp3    Bannockburn_new_2017.mp3 --  (Download: 10.86 MB)

Messages In This Thread
Bannockburn - a black metal moshfest (NEW MIX / UPDATE March 2017) - by Blitzzz - 10-06-2014, 09:46 PM