Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AtlantisBound_ItWasMyFaultForWaiting_Full
(06-04-2023, 11:31 PM)roy Wrote: I gave V2 in the second post a quick listen since it was the latest mix. Sorry if that wasn't the best one to listen to. My gut reaction is that you're trying to do to much to the song. Every element seems to have some amount of obvious processing. And it doesn't feel necessary. There is a lot of mix compression and pumping. It feels like you're mixing as oppose to presenting the song. I hope that doesn't sound harsh.

I don't really know the song. I've downloaded the multitracks to get an idea and the elements are there. You (yes you specifically) can definitely make a good song out of this.

I do want to take a second to reply to Markpianist's points.

I will start by saying, I'm an old guy too and I'd pray to Jupiter for tracks that were recorded right. I'd be happy if there were tones on the tape to align to. I know I had to work with a lot of junk. It was and will always be the case.

There's then a lot of pontificating unrelated to the mix. That we can set aside. There's a lot of "what if's" that I don't think really applies to this mix. And, I'm not sure how POElectronicBox can use this info to making this mix better.
I'm not even sure these are real drums based on a cursory listen. Again, I've just taken a quick glance at the multitracks and there are certainly issues. If we're playing the 'old guy' card these would be issues we'd shrug and get to mixing and doing the best we can under the clock. I'll admit I've generally dealt with much shallower pockets.

I say with all positive honesty that I am looking forward to MP's mix and getting a better perspective on what could be done with these tracks. It's a point they said that I will certainly agree with. Quote: "Listen to Peppermarks mix." Listen to everyone's mix. Ground yourself with some reference and perspective.

To sum it up and not to lose focus on this post, POElectronicBox you might be trying a bit too hard with this one. And I get it. It kind of asks for that. But you can pull back a little (a lot) and get a more solid 'band' mix and then you can build it from there.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks a lot for the analysis, really this mix wasn't easy, however I'm going to go back to the DAW again and start all over again. In the last few months I've been using other techniques and new plugins and let's see if I get better results.

Best regards

Messages In This Thread
RE: AtlantisBound_ItWasMyFaultForWaiting_Full - by POElectronicBox - 11-04-2023, 07:19 PM