Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transcention
Hey Dave, thanks for the listen and a very thoughtful critique!

The_Metallurgist Wrote:super...until, that is, i had to engage a "special" compressor to get the level up on my notebook otherwise it would have been on maximum volume; what happened? anyway, when i switched it in.....MEGA SUPER Duper! wow, it really came to life and i found myself grinning like a Cheshire cat.

I'm glad you liked it. Blush Sorry about the level... I mix very quietly to protect my hearing and leave plenty of headroom. I took a peek at the mix and it looks like I had the gain plugin turned off when I rendered it, probably because I was checking the master against my mix. Whoops!

The_Metallurgist Wrote:the intro has a flash of noise commencing 0:18, i think this was wanting a low-pass filter to tame it's high-end at the end of it's sweep?

I went back and forth on that... To my ears the low pass filter didn't sound "better" as much as it sounded "different" if that makes any sense? Listening to it now, though, I think it'd be sort of uncomfortable for folks without subwoofers to get a good volume, so I think you're on point there.

The_Metallurgist Wrote:i liked the fact you kept bass out of the sides ensuring the power was down the middle. this also made listening over phones comfortable and engaging, especially the stereo panorama you had going throughout. actually, you had very little sub 150Hz(?) going on in the sides which suited me fine!

You either checked the mix on an analyzer or you have very good ears Big Grin I put a 12db per octave HP filter on the side channel of the entire mix at exactly 150 Hz. It's kinda crazy how much that technique focuses the bass and opens up everything else... I'm pretty much doing it on every mix now.

The_Metallurgist Wrote:if this mix "mixed itself pretty much", then you've paid APZX a worthy complement in his(?) composition and arrangement prowess. not having to try and fix things means more time for doing the polishing in a mix that makes polishing possible..... three cheers for that.

I'd suggest you try all 3 of APZX's songs in the library. They're all top-notch compositionally... no arrangement work necessary, and the synths he used allow tons of room for adding characterful effects, which is a rare treat. Thanks again for taking the time for a detailed listen, I always appreciate it!
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!

Messages In This Thread
Transcention - by pauli - 23-04-2014, 01:58 AM
RE: Transcention - by The_Metallurgist - 23-04-2014, 02:26 PM
RE: Transcention - by pauli - 23-04-2014, 08:41 PM
RE: Transcention - by The_Metallurgist - 24-04-2014, 03:30 PM
RE: Transcention - by thedon - 24-04-2014, 11:31 AM
RE: Transcention - by The_Metallurgist - 24-04-2014, 03:51 PM