Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It was live, so get on your jive!
Hi!

Sorry, I didn't think I was being particularly arcane.

Yes. It's a folk band recorded playing together live in the studio. Between your buildup, and Dangerous' comment, I suppose I was expecting to hear a great mix that conveyed exactly that. I wasn't feeling that from this mix, so I thought I'd post my alternative opinion.

I could be wrong, but I recall the live vocals, just as an example, blended together and interacted really quite well precisely because they were recorded close together live in one room. For me that was what was special about this session.

So yes, I just felt the drums perhaps a bit heavy for the genre and with the wide panning and separation of each part here, it felt to me more like a collection of separate parts as opposed to a mix and I feel I lose that sense of blend, so to speak, for example, the vocals blending together.

Obviously you had a different goal in mind and wanted to convey something different here. I just felt it was perhaps a bit of a shame to try and turn it in to something else, which is what I meant by 'losing that certain something'. That was all.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!

Messages In This Thread
It was live, so get on your jive! - by Marty - 26-11-2022, 11:39 PM
RE: It was live, so get on your jive! - by Marty - 27-11-2022, 09:02 PM
RE: It was live, so get on your jive! - by mikej - 27-11-2022, 09:08 PM
RE: It was live, so get on your jive! - by Marty - 29-11-2022, 07:10 AM
RE: It was live, so get on your jive! - by mikej - 29-11-2022, 11:31 AM