Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mykey Massacre - Don't Please Stay (MIX/MASTER)
For 80's rock mixing there's some good interviews with Mike Shipley (RIP) who mixed Def Leppard for Mutt Lange on Youtube. I think one good interview might have been on Pensado's Place. Bobby Huff has a youtube channel where he goes through a few of the Mutt Lange recording and mixing tricks. Mike Shipley and Mutt Lange were quite ahead of their time mixing wise. Their wokring methods were more how you'd approach mixing and arranging in the modern day DAW, but they were getting it done in the 80's on the SSL console. I'm not sure if Def Leppard fans realised how produced and crafted their stuff was back then. Mutt Lange and Mike Shipley were kind of the Trevor Horn of the rock world.

More metal than rock, but I do really like the more recent Judas Priest mixes, eg the Firepower album from 2018, and also the audio on the live shows such as Judas Priest Live From The Seminole Hard Rock Arena. Not sure about the live shows, but I think the album was mixed by Andy Sneap who is also well worth checking out as far as rock and metal mixing goes. He actually toured as a guitarist with Judas Priest too. The sound is amazing, it's like the classic metal sound - but mixed bang up to date. Really clean.

Just thought I'd pass on a few things that I think are well worth checking out mixing wise, and might be useful.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mykey Massacre - Don't Please Stay (MIX/MASTER) - by mikej - 14-11-2022, 01:26 AM