Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stop and Rise - SG
Hi,

Yeah I feel you could be right there. If you find your mix isn't translating as you expect then you probably need to try and address that first. Especially if you didn't intend it to be that scooped, etc. I know some people do like things a bit scooped and more laid back. I suppose my preference is to have things a bit more upfront I guess.

I did notice that the bass was maybe a little elevated, but where it is might necessarily be a bad thing if the mids / upper mids are there to balance things out. I think you can clearly see the bass, mid scoop and high freq roll off on an analyser?

One thing that might help is to A/B your mix (level matched) with a selection of suitable commercial mixes and go from there.

I spent a couple of weeks a few years ago getting my head around the mix translation thing. During the process I actually binned off a couple of pairs of (actually quite decent and well respected) headphones that I found really weren't working for me at all and were actually throwing me off course quite badly, perception wise. The whole thing turned out to be quite a difficult and tough process - but was well worth the effort in the end.

If you think you need to dig in and automate the vocal, then I feel sometimes you just have to get on and do it really. It's well worth the effort if it gets you get the result you want.

Do feel free to leave a comment on my mix of this if you'd like. Although I mixed this a couple of years ago it would still be interesting to hear your thoughts on it. I know I always listen to people's mixes when reading their comments on my mixes, and I expect others to do the same. It's really that I feel my comments perhaps might make a bit more sense taken in context with my more recent mixes than those I did a couple of years ago.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!

Messages In This Thread
Stop and Rise - SG - by SacredGroove - 26-10-2022, 01:26 PM
RE: Stop and Rise - SG - by mikej - 26-10-2022, 08:48 PM
RE: Stop and Rise - SG - by SacredGroove - 26-10-2022, 11:17 PM
RE: Stop and Rise - SG - by mikej - 27-10-2022, 01:15 AM
RE: Stop and Rise - SG - by SacredGroove - 27-10-2022, 04:33 PM
RE: Stop and Rise - SG - by mikej - 29-10-2022, 07:53 PM