Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
PAIN REMAINS
Great mix. I love the snare; I like the sound of snare sample so I notice it every time. But I think you lose some of the "ghost notes" (I think that's what drummers call it). The sample overwhelmed the original in level relatively. I can hear them but not without some effort. After carefully listening, here are a few things I notice from your mix. You may want to double check just to make sure bc I am listening in an entirely different environment, and, more importantly, I can always be wrong Smile.

I don't hear the guitar2 (0:22-0:33), if it's there, I don't hear it.

The kick seems to fade back into the background in some parts, especially the denser parts. I also think you need more beater and it should stay steady all time, but that's just my taste.

I don't hear the guitars cleanly. I know they are there but sometimes got obscured by the synths.

The guitar3 (1:10-1:17) is not articulating clearly enough. I hear it but cannot distinguish the notes.

I also notice that your mix is warm but a bit dark; I think it can use a bit more midrange.

The reason I paid more attention to those mentioned above bc I have a hard time getting them to where they should be. I am not sure how to address those problems bc I am not good enough to help you but here's how I approach it: I grouped the bass, kick and the deep synth together and treated them as bottom end. I gathered the rest of the synth (since they live in the same area) and the guitars together and treated them as one to take care of the top end. My plug chain is quite simple: EQ, Comp, Gate all stock (if you have Pro tools, you should have the same ones). I include here my latest mix so you can check out to see if my method of madness works on my mix. If it produces positive results then it could work for you too. If not, maybe together we can figure out a way to battle this, right? I hope it helps. Cheers!

*btw, there's a youtube vid on compression with Puig I think is worth watching (The art of compression is the title, I think. Just google it). I watched it quite a few times over the years but never quite got what he taught until my hearing got better and I can somewhat hear the compressor. I think it would help.

.mp3    PainRemainsSonicTrampFinal_5.mp3 --  (Download: 7.97 MB)

Messages In This Thread
PAIN REMAINS - by Shul - 24-09-2022, 04:31 AM
RE: PAIN REMAINS - by Shul - 25-09-2022, 10:30 PM
RE: PAIN REMAINS - by heinim - 29-09-2022, 09:00 PM
RE: PAIN REMAINS - by mikej - 29-09-2022, 09:30 PM
RE: PAIN REMAINS - by Shul - 30-09-2022, 06:05 AM
RE: PAIN REMAINS - by mikej - 30-09-2022, 07:51 AM
RE: PAIN REMAINS - by SonicTramp - 15-10-2022, 03:02 AM