Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Daimon B - Pain Remains (brady85mix
I took a listen to the version 3 of the song and tonally, it's pretty dark...I think a bit too dark.

The drums is where I spent the most time on it. A lot of the time, I'm trying to get the rooms to match with the close mics and add some ambiance and clarity to it. The overheads on this one was a bit buried in the mix in some parts. I like to add a compressor to it (like an 1176, but any analogue compressor will do) and play around with the attack and release ratios to get it to sound even with the room mics, but this is just a personal preference. Smile Also, it was a lot of attack on the close mics and not much in terms of tone of the drum. You might want to try looking at adding some EQ on your drum bus compressor to add some tone back to the drums. For this song, I added some samples and on the bus compressor, I added +6db at 8k and +6 at 80 to fatten and add clarity to the bus, but again, add it to taste.

Bass and gutars really fit together nicely. I'm not a fan of the phaser FX on certain tracks, but that's a me issue. Smile The scream vocals were a bit buried in the mix, especially in the second verse. The rest of the vocals is good.

It's good, but it can be great. One of my mindsets when mixing and mastering is "if this was on Spotify or any streaming service, and I was listening to this the first time, what would I think, and would I listen to it again?" That and having a reference track to follow along makes mixing and mastering so much easier, so that's what I would suggest.

Hope this helps! Smile

Messages In This Thread
Daimon B - Pain Remains (brady85mix - by brady85 - 30-08-2022, 08:54 PM
RE: Daimon B - Pain Remains (brady85mix - by brandon_parker - 05-09-2022, 10:19 PM