Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starnes & Shah - "Prodigal Son"_(CGMIX)
(12-02-2022, 01:43 PM)roy Wrote: Sounds good. I think the vocals could be a little bigger. It's such a simple song that they really should be the forefront and have a little more body. Or at least the lead should. They're a little nasal at the moment. This doesn't necessarily mean louder. The overall level feels fine especially in the chorus.
The other vocals could come up a bit. S&S tend to view the vocals as a duo lead with some other backgrounds added.

Yeah, both the kick and bass had a lot of lows. The bass player seemed to like the bass with the tone knob down. That said, you got a good sound out of it. I'm not sure if you automated it but it does seem to stand out at the right time for certain fills/riffs. The kick was mic'd with a kick drum mic that had a huge low end bump. It was all I really had available and this song would have benefitted from a different set up but it was recorded in a basement and we made do.

I think the tone of the "overheads" mics could be skewed to be a bit brighter and have less low end. There was only four mics on the drums and I used a Glyn Johns setup to get an overall kit sound. The mic near the floor tom always picks up too much kick and there's some extra lows/mids on the right that could be filtered down. Maybe on both OHs. I think that light open up the kit sound a bit. The outro drums work but then again he switched from bundles (I think) to actual sticks and is hitting harder so that brings out the cymbals more.

I like the phased on the fill guitar after the first chorus. It's a little 'shy' and could make a bit more of a statement but it's better as is than being too over the top.

The guitars overall feel fine. Nothing jumps out at me.

Anyway, it sounds good. I think the drums could be tweaked a bit and the vocals could be a little "bigger". I hope that makes sense. I just woke up and haven't had my coffee yet.
Thanks for the reply, Roy.

I agree, after coming back to it the morning after the vocals could be a little more "forward" in the mix. I tweaked the EQ on the lead vocal a little bit to hopefully cut out some of the nasally frequencies, and to hopefully make it stand out a little bit more. I've also deepened the cut in the 400hz range on the overheads to get rid of some of the unnecessary low-end build-up, which subsequently made the overheads sound a little brighter/cleaner. I brought up the backing-vocals as well, and re-tweaked their EQ.

Hopefully the second version has fixed some of the issues in the first mix. Thank you for your reply, I greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Starnes & Shah - "Prodigal Son"_(CGMIX) - by Cephren Gerrard - 12-02-2022, 09:25 PM