Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ul-mix
(24-04-2012, 01:16 PM)uzilevi Wrote: i hope you like it Big Grin one down alot more to goTongue the mix is before mastering so bring up the volume

First off, IMHO the only thing you should ever do in "mastering" is normalize the whole thing to 0 dBFS. Trying to make recordings "loud" ruins their clarity and dynamics. Trust me; your recording will sound a lot better if you don't "master" it with compression. If people want it louder they can do exactly as you suggested: turn it up. Wink

That being said, this is a mix with potential but there are a few problems here.

First of all, WAY too much reverb here; it's obscuring all the details of the sound. The reverb EFFECT ITSELF is good, a nice smooth reverb reminiscent of a stage or performance arena; it's just too strong and overbearing. All the reverb tends to make the cymbal crashes too soft and wishy-washy. Gotta dial that back quite a bit.

Vocals sound nice and present, and I like the fact that you brought the backing vocal up with them (so many people who mix this song tend to bury that lovely backing vocal). Vocals are a little too bright, though; you might try backing off 2-4 dB around 5 kHz.

The dobro sounds a little "boxy" to me. Try pulling back maybe 2 dB on the midrange around 1000 Hz?

And, once again, I'd stay away from "mastering." Wink
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince

Messages In This Thread
ul-mix - by uzilevi - 24-04-2012, 01:16 PM
RE: ul-mix - by Mike Senior - 07-05-2012, 04:27 PM
RE: ul-mix - by Ian Scott Stewart - 04-06-2012, 09:31 PM
RE: ul-mix - by ThePhonk - 25-06-2012, 12:59 AM
RE: ul-mix - by uzilevi - 25-06-2012, 08:36 AM
RE: ul-mix - by Pedaling Prince - 06-01-2014, 03:46 AM