Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skelpolu - Human Mistakes (ZX Mix)
Hey Pedaling Prince,
just to finish this off, as we shouldn't spam APZX's thread after all.
True, DNB has become a slave to the limiter. A few artists (mainly indie artists) tried to do DNB unmastered even, some succeeded a bit, some failed a lot.
The thing about DNB, as pauli has already said it, is that it needs this crunchy sound the limiter can give. The same goes especially for Dubstep - just listen to Bonfire by Knife Party.
Personally I don't listen to Dubstep so much, but ironically, Knife Party consists of two members of a DNB-Band called 'Pendulum' - and geez, the mentioned track ... just analyze the waveform, you'll see what I mean.
But exactly that makes the bass have such a distorted sound, which makes it unique - that is why I said that it's a matter of taste. Of course it does sound better with more dynamics, but the distortion that the limiter can give in these two genres are just not there anymore. I am very glad how the Bass turned out in the final mix, I think I even saturated the Bass while mixing, without limiting it already, just to give it even more crunch ahead of time.

I guess we shouild conclude that it's the market's fault that we got used to use the limiter more than ever in those two genres, but that the limiter also gives the tracks that unique distortion, after all.

Also, agreed: The mix really sounds spacey, and that was also part of my intention. Great Job, APZX. Smile

Messages In This Thread
Skelpolu - Human Mistakes (ZX Mix) - by APZX - 08-03-2014, 03:51 PM
RE: Skepolu - Human Mistakes (ZX Mix) - by APZX - 09-03-2014, 03:23 AM
RE: Skepolu - Human Mistakes (ZX Mix) - by APZX - 09-03-2014, 01:55 PM
RE: Skepolu - Human Mistakes (ZX Mix) - by APZX - 11-03-2014, 09:27 AM
RE: Skepolu - Human Mistakes (ZX Mix) - by pauli - 11-03-2014, 11:00 PM
RE: Skepolu - Human Mistakes (ZX Mix) - by Skelpolu - 12-03-2014, 07:21 AM
RE: Skepolu - Human Mistakes (ZX Mix) - by APZX - 12-03-2014, 10:19 AM
RE: Skepolu - Human Mistakes (ZX Mix) - by pauli - 12-03-2014, 10:47 PM
RE: Skepolu - Human Mistakes (ZX Mix) - by APZX - 13-03-2014, 01:31 PM