Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Jesu bleibet meine Freude’ w/distinct vocals (and) w/o added reverb,
Hi,
I like that you are focusing on the emotion in this piece. Getting the voices upfront and clear, with high transparency sounds like a good aim. I've played in amateur symphony orchestras for 10 years myself (as a student), so can see where you are going. The voices are definitely the heroes of the track, direct and intense. 
I am not convinced about the depth of your soundstage: the voices seems to stand out far in front, the orchestra is way back. 
Interesting approach that you focus on natural space in the recording - good idea to work with the best of the quality that's there. I think in your mix you have ended up with a very narrow soundstage though, it sounds like the orchestra is playing in a small box. If you want to avoid reverb, then I'd try some sort of stereo widening to 'fill the stage' to the sides. 
I would think that the voices should have some compression, the delivery is quite uneven. Your mix sounds natural, I suppose, in the sense of a close up photo of a face without makeup looks natural. 
The loser in your mix is the oboe. I think it has more of a protagonist role, in parallel to the voices. And can you bring out the strings a bit more? They are hard to hear. 
Overall the mix sounds very bright. Balancing this with more bass and warmth might be good?
Just my personal thoughts :-)

Messages In This Thread
RE: 'Jesu bleibet meine Freude’ w/distinct vocals (and) w/o added reverb, - by billabong68 - 28-12-2021, 12:56 PM