Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dead Roses 01 and 02
I'd like to thank Mike and everybody for the feedbacks.

During the Xmas holidays I found some time to pick this track back up and apply improvements to all aspects noted by you folks commenting. I hope these comments are relevant and interesting.

** Some notes on the equipment and DAW. **
I took the chance of this and other threads here (and Mike's book reading Big Grin) to experiment and make some improvements on the workflow, and template used on PT 10.
- I have selected some "preferred" IR reverb settings, out of the Bricasti IR freely available here http://www.samplicity.com/bricasti-m7-im...responses/ (thanks Uzi!), and created/reviewed the related busses for those: a plate rev for Drums, a specific reverb (based on small hall) for the snare, another series of reverbs for voices, piano and guits. Running these IRs through Wave IR1, that is CPU-vore in native mode, is not yet the best workflow I can think of but so far the CPU is still holding.
- I'm afraid that I'm more and more convinced PT 10 running the same version of the plugins (Waves native) is delivering higher sound quality than Logic. It could be related to the declared 32bit internal processing. Unfortunately I'm not yet very proficient with PT.
- Finally apologizing about this version if the balance is going its way. Changes were made with headphone monitoring, being waiting for the much longed Genelec that should come in a few days.

** The track and the "improvements" **
- Picking up Mike's comment first, the Bass. As documented in the previously posted screenshot the CLA Bass plugin was re-tweaked to get rid of the synthiness, that in my opinion was in the Growl setting of the Treble slide. Now the result is... I don't know, maybe too smooth.
- Acou guits. Make them less "DI like", acou guits are sent to an additional Amp emu buss that is mixed to the track original, with a "touch" of clean amping. Maybe still too clean.
- I wanted to improve and give more control to the snare. This was done by slightly different settings of compression, in the SSL channel strips and with slightly more aggressive compression of the RCompressor plugin. Played around with phasing adjustments with not much success, since the overall sound is a combination of the Snare tracks and the bleeding of the other drum tracks.
- The snare also got a touch of specialized reverb with the mentioned buss send.
- The voices have been reviewed with different de-essing settings and some more balancing. I also had the impression there was some voicing issue, but I'm not sure if the touches have improved anything
- I added some very mild master compression and linear phase eq (touch of high and low shelves), to glue together. I would not consider this yet mastering. I was not looking into leveling or target track gain/limiting.

As before, no DAW automation introduced, but some gains have been touched. That what I discovered of PT that the gain can be modified prior to any processing. Pretty cool (I believe it's called Clip Gain).

** Lessons learned **
- snare is damn difficult to tweak
- I have to learn a lot more
- I don't have the needed consistency yet
- I will never remember PT shortcut keys (Tongue)

I attached the latest bounce and a couple of screenshots of the tracks and the busses settings.
Comments more than welcome.
humbly said

Thumbnail(s)

.mp3    Deas Roses 05.mp3 --  (Download: 7.02 MB)

"... I'm listening. Yes."
from Switzerland

Messages In This Thread
Dead Roses 01 and 02 - by Lammy - 07-10-2012, 11:07 PM
RE: Dead Roses Final (?) - by davidpaulpaige - 03-11-2012, 02:50 AM
RE: Dead Roses Final (?) - by Lammy - 05-11-2012, 10:58 PM
RE: Dead Roses Final (?) - by Mike Senior - 14-11-2012, 02:18 PM
RE: Dead Roses Final (?) - by Lammy - 15-11-2012, 10:00 PM
RE: Dead Roses Final (?) - by Mike Senior - 15-11-2012, 10:30 PM
RE: Dead Roses Final (?) - by DanUpdegraff - 27-11-2012, 05:32 AM
Dead Roses - New Version - by Lammy - 05-01-2013, 01:49 AM