Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Brian C Cai Fei Hong-never let you go- Sonictramp
(05-10-2021, 11:48 PM)SonicTramp Wrote: Well, you guys talked me into it, especially after watching Scheps' video (thanks MikeJ). That's just too much weight on me, so I decided to go back to the cans and give them another try after a couple months stayed completely away. It's not like I am taking a big risk or anything. This time, tho, I hear things differently, and it seemed easier to work with, especially the bottom end.

I spent about 6-8 hours learning how they sound and react to my moves, and it's not too bad. What I did differently was, yeah, a lot of LP and HP on the bass, things that I wouldn't normally do, not this drastic. For example, the sineoid bass (bass2) was LP all the way down to, good Lord, 230Hz. Bass 1 LP to 6kHz, and bass 3 HP to 528Hz and LP to 9kHz. One the bottom end is sorted out, I found that the rest is much easier to mix. For example, I couldn't for the life of me got all the guitars all represented, and that piano is buried down there somewhere before I did that to the bass. I also couldn't get the snare at the transition part from the chorus to break to slam either.

I hope I do better with headphones. That would save me a lot of money (to treat the room) and heartaches (sucky mixes). I think my mix translates better when mix with headphones and check with monitors than the other way around. The most important thing is to sort out the bass. Or suffer the consequences like I did. I remember reading somewhere that the pros spend a lot of time working on the low end, and only now I know why.

Let me know what you think of the mix and whether I should stick with headphones (preferred) or abandon them for the HS8. I think the headphones helps me but I would be more confident if you agree too. How does it translate on your ends is what I really want to know. Thanks for the listen. No need for long post (unless you want to), just a thumps up for a go ahead is good for me. Thanks
sounds like you have the low end under control now, no need to limit to mixing on headphones just reference for low end as the hs8 are well regarded and the rest of the mix was good above the bass. I can say from experience that using only headphones is tiring.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Brian C Cai Fei Hong-never let you go- Sonictramp - by Y's Man - 06-10-2021, 04:54 AM