Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yo Daddy D! mix by tjmtruth (Tommy Marcinek)
It's certainly something worth trying. As with everything you've kind of got to figure out what works for you - I'm sure there's loads of different strategies.

For me - when I listen to the preview I just make a note of what I think are the most important elements and go from there. In this case it's probably the drums, bass and vocal.

Yeah if you are wanting the beater sound or whatever from the kick, then you might want to listen to that to make sure you don't mask it as you bring in the bass. For me it's that low end of the kick I listen out for. I used to kind of over use eq boosts to get these things to poke out but I find you can get a long way just with balance.

There's a mixer, Derek Ali (MixedByAli) who I think goes round the mix soloing two different elements to make sure everything is all still working well together as he goes. Got to be quite disciplined for that I think.

A tip I saw recently on Youtube from Mr C (The Shamen) plays the mix back at a really low level so you can just hear it and makes sure the main mix elements are poking through. You also need to check at louder volumes too, which is the bit I usually forget, as I mix at quite low volume.

Oh, another thing that sometimes works is to just bring up everything and mix with all faders up always and just keep going at it.

I found for me the most important thing is to start the mix with plenty of headroom. I can always over limit it and ruin it at the end Big Grin.

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Yo Daddy D! mix by tjmtruth (Tommy Marcinek) - by mikej - 03-09-2021, 01:18 AM