Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
MekaPhil: 'Alive (Yet Free)'
Hey, thanks so much! It really seems like you appreciate the effort that went into this mix. After all, it's your song!

So just for sake of continuing the conversation, I'll offer some comments on the points you made. All really good observations by the way.
1- I agree about the cymbals. I always struggle with sampled cymbals because with mic'ed drums the phasing and natural bleed aliviates this harshness. Maybe its habit that I get the room sounding as bright as possible to pump that energy? Something to look into.
2- Yep! 100% left and right rhythm guitars, and then centred lead guitars with a mild mod for a bit of width. I really controlled the two opposing guitars so that they weren't unbalanced. Especially because they are the foundational backbone of the song's soundstage.
3- I actually high-cut the guitars! Because I was going for more upfront vocals, I didn't want the guitars to compete with them up there. The guitars also sound smoother for it, and I can get them loud without them killing the vocals. I'll upload a version later with the high-cut turned off and you'll notice the vocals disappear a lot (though, I agree the guitars do sound much more energetic).
4- Funny, the 100-120hz area came up here too. When our senior engineer heard me mixing this after hours, he made the suggestion to lower the area (I originally left it in). As soon as I lowered it a bit, it instantly cleaned up my mix and made it easier to listen to. His suggestion was - lower 100hz by 3db, and boost 50hz and 200hz by 2db (And make sure you use a bloody linear EQ!) I remember him shouting at me. He's a genius. It totally worked.

What I might do for sake of the experiment, I'll make the changes you suggested and add a version in there. Because at the end of the day, it's not what I want but what your vision for the song is.
:: Newest Mix ::
Crucial Taunt

Other Mixes

Messages In This Thread
MekaPhil: 'Alive (Yet Free)' - by Saint - 05-07-2021, 07:51 AM
RE: MekaPhil: 'Alive (Yet Free)' - by Saint - 06-07-2021, 02:24 AM
RE: MekaPhil: 'Alive (Yet Free)' - by Shul - 15-07-2021, 07:46 PM
RE: MekaPhil: 'Alive (Yet Free)' - by EarWeGo - 20-07-2021, 02:55 AM