Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sant Jordi
Well, I've made a few comments on other threads so I guess I should show my work. First time with this genre of music so I could be totally off base. I wasn't absolutely certain about what mattered to the artist so I guessed.  This is such an interesting blend of dance song and folk music.  The song reminds me of a band I heard live called Captain Tractor - they did a pretty interesting remake of "Druken Sailor" so I used that as a bit of inspiration.  https://youtu.be/M0rgblVwi5w if you're interested

First, I was shocked that I hardly used any effects in this song.  Just didn't seem to warrant it.  EQ, compressor, maximizer, verb, volume sliders and pan knobs ... that's about it. 

I tried one new thing (for me). I smashed down the drum kit in parallel (pre-fx off the drum buss) just to make it snap a bit and I'm happy with how that came out (20:1, 20ms attack, .5 ms hold and long release 200ms). If you haven't tried this technique, do. Make the meter jump hard at whatever db level you give it, just don't overrun the input tolerance on your compressor and you won't be sorry. I set threshold at -24db but that worked for my mix because of the signal strength I was sending. Once that's done just try adjusting the ratio of squash v.s. buss faders until it sounds good and give it one more tweak with the other instruments in the monitor. I doubt this is a good strategy for every song but I'm going to try it with other types of tracks down the road and see how it goes. 

Feedback is always appreciated.  Maybe I blew it and it sounds horrible to others. This is the place to learn.

** Now that I listen to it again, I'd twist up the snare a bit. It's not bad, just could be better.

.mp3    SantJordi.mp3 --  (Download: 3.65 MB)

Messages In This Thread
Sant Jordi - by DiscoDynamo - 12-06-2021, 08:31 PM
RE: Sant Jordi - by mikej - 15-06-2021, 04:10 PM
RE: Sant Jordi - by red86549 - 20-06-2021, 04:52 PM
RE: Sant Jordi - by Bob's Audio - 27-06-2021, 05:07 AM