Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Broken Man from a mixing virgin!
Hey man!

I'm no expert, but this sounds a lot better to me, too. A few more advanced that might help you improve further:

-I think you may have taken the filtering just a little too high on the piano, because the low notes sound thin. It's been months since I mixed this one so I don't remember much about the arrangment, but I'd consider putting two instances of the EQ on the piano, one with heavier high-pass filter in the very front of the chain... you can automate the heavier filtering to only be active during the sections where the bass comes in to keep your low end clean during those times, but the rest of the time, those low piano notes ARE the bass, so you'd want them to be nice and full.

-Consider narrowing the stereo width on the drums... it's a cool effect but it's really wide and it's a little distracting.

-On the first chorus, the vocals as a whole feel really loud. I'd bring down the volume in those parts, bounce the whole mix, and use automation to control the volume differences between the verses, choruses and breakdown to control long term dynamics. You'll want each chorus to be a bit louder than the last, I think, followed by the breakdown, and then a HUGE chorus to seal the deal. Those sorts of long term dynamics decisions help maintain and sense of momentum and maintain interest.

Huge improvement, though, man. You're already well on your way!
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Broken Man from a mixing virgin! - by pauli - 06-02-2014, 06:35 AM
RE: Broken Man from a mixing virgin! - by pauli - 09-02-2014, 10:25 PM