Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
kangaro Bitch is paranoid
Hi,

The way I would approach it would be to familiarise myself with the balance of the library mix first. I would then try to get a ballpark balance of the mix without any reverbs or effects on any of the vocals. At this point I would then start to blend in the reverb whilst playing back the whole track. The problem with reverb is that it is very easy to over do it. To start off with I would try blending it in until you can just hear it, then dial it back a hair.

It took me a couple of years to really figure this out, but for me getting the initial balance as good as you can is the key I feel, along with leaving a good amount of mix headroom. You might also hear the relative balance change section to section too, this is where volume automation, etc comes in. It is quite surprising how far you can get with a mix just with concentrating on getting a good balance, and a bit of high and low passing, before really getting stuck in with eq and effects, etc.

My thinking is that I get the feeling you are using the reverb to help the vocals stand out. Reverb actually pushes things back in the mix, hence suggesting getting the balance right first.

Yeah this is a tough mix and it really does take quite some time to get anywhere with it I think. I didn't do such a great job of it really, I need to give it another go sometime.

Hope that helps a little?

Cheers!
Just uploaded a mix/master?  Waiting for comments? Why not give back and critique a mix/master, or two!

Messages In This Thread
kangaro Bitch is paranoid - by phil_basement - 18-04-2021, 01:53 AM
RE: kangaro Bitch is paranoid - by phil_basement - 21-04-2021, 09:46 PM
RE: kangaro Bitch is paranoid - by mikej - 21-04-2021, 10:28 PM
RE: kangaro Bitch is paranoid - by phil_basement - 22-04-2021, 08:35 PM
RE: kangaro Bitch is paranoid - by mikej - 22-04-2021, 08:56 PM
RE: kangaro Bitch is paranoid - by phil_basement - 22-04-2021, 10:50 PM
RE: kangaro Bitch is paranoid - by mikej - 23-04-2021, 08:21 PM
RE: kangaro Bitch is paranoid - by phil_basement - 25-04-2021, 01:09 AM
RE: kangaro Bitch is paranoid - by mikej - 27-04-2021, 11:00 PM
RE: kangaro Bitch is paranoid - by phil_basement - 28-04-2021, 08:32 PM
RE: kangaro Bitch is paranoid - by mikej - 28-04-2021, 08:52 PM