Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You, Me and the Radio and mITc's Take
If you take a taste of Queen, and jigger of The Who and a dash of E-Street and John Mellencamp you've got a great mix of qualities to shuffle into a good take on this fun song.

This assembled rather fluidly and organically for me starting with the room mics for the drums which set the stage for excitement in rhythm. Stomping on the room brought up a decent sound but it felt a bit close so I delayed the room a touch more and it gave me the depth I thought appropriate for the tempo and character of the song. The drum buss was then sent through parallel processing using The Glue.

Next, the bass had my typical treatment with an SSL E channel a Neutrino for detail and some saturation for grit and definition.

Once the guitars were properly grouped (4 stereo groups) and then bussed, an effective panning scheme put them in a good location in the stereo field. With some guitar specific reverb and API 550 B stereo EQ on each guitar group the guitar buss was put through an Aphex Exciter to bring detail and clarity to them. The solo guitar had it's own specific reverb to allow it to show a difference from the other guitars.

The keyboards were a bit of a challenge. Neither the Piano nor the Organ had any scintillating character of their own so some significant stock Presonus EQ and a specific reverb were added to carry on the Baba O'Reilly vibe. The piano was also sent through an SSL E channel with some added gain for saturation into the compressor and some sparkly bits added in the EQ section. I think these worked out OK. The dynamics they each had was able to shine through from that point which worked out well for my mixing purposes.

The vocals were fun and simple. The BGVs were panned and doubled using the Acorn Doubler with the doubler being sent to a room reverb for add space to the chorale.  I think that worked. The lead vocal (251 track) was also sent to the Acorn for some tight ambience with it's output also sent to a 480XL patch for reverb. Toward the end of the mix I added a second vocal track (a copy of the lead track) which went through a stock Presonus doubler with some minor modulation and only added in the choruses via automation. I liked how that boosted the chorus energy.

There you have it. My short dissertation on my mix for this fun song. I hope you like it.

Human Radio - You, Me and the Radio - Mix 2
After some very good input I have punched up the kick and snare, tamed the bass a touch and goosed both the Piano and Organ. I added a Leslie to the Organ as well. Thanks for the excellent input.

As always, comments and questions are appreciated.

Live long and Mix Well,
mITc

.mp3    Human Radio - You, Me and the Radio.mp3 --  (Download: 11.27 MB)

.mp3    Human Radio - You, Me and the Radio - Mix 2.mp3 --  (Download: 11.13 MB)

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]

Messages In This Thread
You, Me and the Radio and mITc's Take - by Mixinthecloud - 16-03-2021, 06:35 PM