Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Such fine people
(18-08-2021, 10:33 AM)BKM Wrote: Hey man! Original engineer here. First of all - cool mix, snare and kick are nice and punchy. However, I feel (and I'm of course extremely biased in this case) that the vocals are a bit dry and the entire mix is fairly narrow. That's a taste thing tho, I know some people don't like the LCR thing of making things super wide.

Regarding the phase issues: I've heard several mixes now where people tried blending both DI and reamped signals so I'm thinking that I might have failed to properly communicate what the intention was. Essentially, I included the guitar and bass DI so that in case you were unhappy with the reamped sounds I chose, you could throw them out and build tones for yourself. I did not expect that folks would try to blend them in, so I did not phase-align the signals before preparing the multitracks. But apparently this gave you a chance to practice some critical listening re: phase issues, so maybe it wasn't all bad Smile

I can very much recommend Waves InPhase to fix issues like that. It gives you a toolkit to align the phase as well as a nice visual indicator of how in phase the signals are without having to resort to zooming into the actual waveform (which of course works as well). I typically do that if I blend different amps for guitars and on multi-mic'd sources (stereo piano, stereo overheads, kick in / out, snare top / bot, etc.) and it really help to get more clarity and punch from your mics before you even start mixing.

***Thanks for leaving a comment, BKM. And thanks for reminding me of this song. I forgot when I uploaded this song, but I know for a fact that I was using a pair of cheap PC speakers as 'monitor' system. I have "real" monitors now Smile. I've been having them for about a month now. So I dragged this song back out and gave it another try.

About the phase thing, yeah, I heard of the in-phase from Waves. But right now I cannot use any new plug ins at all. Yep, they got me blocked in, Waves, Avid, and the likes etc. You see I am still hanging out with iOS 10.8.5 and Pro Tools 11, not exactly current, you know. The new plugs just simply don't work with my versions. So yeah, I just have to make do with whatever I got. They say, "If there is a will there is a way." I say, "I got the will, but where is the way?" Smile.

About the DIs. To tell you the truth, man, if I hear sounds, any sounds, I'd just try my hardest to fit it in the mix. I only discard them when it absolutely destroys my mix and nothing but trouble. I am not sure that's a good way to mix, but I know that it helps me with listening skill.

Yeah, thanks for taking the time out to write. Please tell the songwriter(s) that I love this song, catchy, very melodic and complex, full of energy. I hope I do the song some justice Smile. Thanks.

.mp3    suchfinepeople-sonictramp_3.mp3 --  (Download: 9.11 MB)

Messages In This Thread
Such fine people - by SonicTramp - 17-02-2021, 11:08 PM
RE: Such fine people - by BKM - 18-08-2021, 10:33 AM
RE: Such fine people - by SonicTramp - 20-08-2021, 07:43 AM